Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tires unusually loud after rotating

Old 08-22-2014, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires unusually loud after rotating

I've got Goodyear Duratracs 265 70 16 on MB Chaos wheels, with no lift. About 10,000 miles on them.

These tires have given me a good hum on the highway above 45 MPH. My Jeep is my daily beater.

I recently had the tires rotated, and had a 5th wheel and tire added to the spare area. Since I don't do much wheeling I only bought 4 tires and wheels, in the effort to save some money, when I upgraded from stock steels a year ago and had removed the spare tire and holder until this wheel rotation.

The new spare is on the tire holder and the existing 4 were rotated. And now the tires are extra loud, especially from the rear. I'm hearing them louder than before and at much lower speeds. It even seems like the ride is much more grainy and bumpy/grindy at lower speeds.

Am I losing my mind or does this sound like an issue? Any explanation? Any constructive feedback is appreciated.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MY Nitto Trail Grapplers do this after every rotation. Mine even out after 500-1,000 miles of pavement driving.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty normal to me, as long as they aren't vibrating excessively. They should calm back down in a few hundred miles.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

I rotate all five of mine every 3000 miles and I notice a little noise after every rotation. After a day or two I forget all about it so I'm assuming it takes care of itself.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I personally like the 'hum', it sounds cool to me. The noise level increase is perfectly normal for a while till they wear in.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PREEV
I've got Goodyear Duratracs 265 70 16 on MB Chaos wheels, with no lift. About 10,000 miles on them. These tires have given me a good hum on the highway above 45 MPH. My Jeep is my daily beater. I recently had the tires rotated, and had a 5th wheel and tire added to the spare area. Since I don't do much wheeling I only bought 4 tires and wheels, in the effort to save some money, when I upgraded from stock steels a year ago and had removed the spare tire and holder until this wheel rotation. The new spare is on the tire holder and the existing 4 were rotated. And now the tires are extra loud, especially from the rear. I'm hearing them louder than before and at much lower speeds. It even seems like the ride is much more grainy and bumpy/grindy at lower speeds. Am I losing my mind or does this sound like an issue? Any explanation? Any constructive feedback is appreciated.
its normal. Uneven wear on the front vs. rear axles. Swap tires, the contact is different. After a few miles (1000 or so), it mellows out. And, it's much more pronounced on OR tires.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Freak

To get the best longevity out of the Dura's you really need to rotate every 3k-5k but no more. I had a set of 275's that I got 60,000 out of.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Definitely rotate more often. If they get too far out of whack, they will get obnoxiously loud and no amount of rotating or wearing in or balance weights will correct it. At some point you will realize that your tires' contact patches with the road don't feel right. They are far less safe than they should be. Keep an eye out for severe scalping/cupping. If you experience vibrations or shimmies, have a tire shop check the balance, but by then it may be too late. Also check your shocks. Bad shocks cause scalping/cupping which causes road noise.

Quick Reply: Tires unusually loud after rotating