Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPMS replacement with tire change?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS replacement with tire change?

Hoping theres a tire guru here-I recently found a bulge in the stock 4k mile BFG KM's and took it to Americas tire for warranty replacement. They said I would have to pay for a whole tire warranty plus labor and then drop the fact they will need to "rebuild" the TPMS sensor. Has anyone heard of this before? Seems to me an upsell as I dont belive they charge this for my van at work.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

i have not heard of anyone having to "rebuild" a tire sensor i don't think you can rebuild it. it's encased in a rubber acrylic.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

If the sensor is working - it's working. I would tell them no and to mount the new tire with the properly working sensor like it is. The only thing I know of that needs to be done with them is replace the battery on one's where that's possible, or replace the whole thing. If in doubt check with your Jeep dealer to see if there is anything that could be done on a "rebuild".
Old 04-07-2009, 03:58 AM
JK Junkie

It smells B.S.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Actually there is a "Service Kit" available for about $4.

"Service kits include sealing components such as caps, cores, grommets and nuts. OEM specifications call for these components to be replaced every time tires and rims on TPMS equipped vehicles are serviced."

Bob
Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

It is recommended that the sensors be rebuilt with every tire change, especially if moving wheels.

The kits are cheap. I got them free when I got my tires but never used them. My TPMS sensors have been used on 3 different sets of wheels and 3 tire changes. They work just fine.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

if the cap for the valve is missing water and dirt will get in causing the valve core to seize, if the valve seizes the valve stem can be replaced but the sensor reused. (from what i've seen on BMW's TPM. )
Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Or you could go the other route. Pull the other 4 sensors out, get a ProCal, and just turn the system off.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Or you could go the other route. Pull the other 4 sensors out, get a ProCal, and just turn the system off.
i agree. you will know when your tires are low on air i was never a fan of the sensors had them in my gmc and they were always on in the mornings when it was cool and then would turn off in the afternoon when everything heated up it's started to get annoying.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Only problem is that I don't know the 'legality' of this, so I am hanging on to the sensors instead of selling them. (just might find that I need them for some future inspection or something)

Anyway, they break fairly easily, and get expensive to keep replacing, so I am much happier with them turned off.

Quick Reply: TPMS replacement with tire change?