Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPMS and Sentry Key lighting up together

Old 12-04-2014, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS and Sentry Key lighting up together

Had an interesting problem show up on the way home from work today.

Several times while I was stopped, the TPMS warning light and the Sentry Key warning light would light up together. My Jeep was running fine, no stumbling or anything, and when I would roll forward both lights would flicker a bit (in sync!) then go out, almost like something was shorted and then cleared itself. This didn't happen every time I stopped, but it was at least 5 times over a 20 minute drive.

Previously I've had my TPMS warning light start flashing (the steady flashing that means TPMS system error) when I was on a road trip, but that was always after I had been on the road for at least an hour. This is the first time it's done it in sync with the Sentry Key light as well.

So yeah, I'm sorta stumped at what could be causing this. Any suggestions as to what I should look at would be very welcome!
The following users liked this post:
Dayna Davis (01-10-2020)
Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue here. I'm hoping I can find out what it is before I have to deal with the dealership.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If there are no codes and no other signs of malfunction, these little electrical anomalies can sometimes be the first signs of a failing battery.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

What year is it? Are you experiencing the Christmas tree dashboard? I had some lights coming on accompanied by a ding. It turns out it
Old 12-07-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oops. It turns out the battery terminals suck on my 2014. I have to tighten them every once in awhile.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is a 2009, original owner and no mods. The battery is the original, and I'm having it replaced tonight. This has only happened to me twice, and only the tpms & sentry lights flash.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue... Only seems to present itself when the heat is on... May need to explore the dash board eventually - hope it's a battery issue...! Will get it checked tomorrow and post results.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

When a new battery and all wires are in fine condition,
It's your TIPM going south.

Not your TPMS, it's the brain of the fusebox, moisture is killing it slowly. Ask me how I know...
Just start a Google search with it. Several Chryslers are affected, Town&Country, the JK.

Other symptoms of a failing TIPM are:
Wipers going wild
Hoking horn, even with no key in the Jeep
Problem with door locks
Window switches malfunction
HVAC not working

So probably everything electrical that is in the passenger compartment.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, quick update, i've checked all the tires and they are all up to pressure, and the battery has been replaced. I'm blown away that despite the number of people who have had this same problem and posted across multiple forums, nobody knows what it is. Next I'm going to replace the batteries in the key fobs. The last option for me is having to take it to the dealer and end up getting the runaround from them because they will most likely have less of a clue than the Jeep community.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

When I bought mine (used) it presented with several of those issues... Wipers/horn/washer fluid spraying out on its own... I took it back to the dealer - they sent me to an electrician... They had it for a day or 2 and told me that the previous owner had for some reason put the fuse box in backwards?!? No clue on the truth to that, but it fixed 90% of the issues... Now it's only the sentry/tpms lights that dance for me, and the cruise control won't turn on... Not terrible til I drive out of town... Which I've been doing frequently as of late... Going back to the electrician after the new year.

Quick Reply: TPMS and Sentry Key lighting up together