Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Jammed Seat Belt Fix

Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jammed Seat Belt Fix

A few days ago my seatbelt jammed on me and I had to slide out of my Jeep to get out of the thing. I later drove back home to my tool box and took a look at what was going on.

When I pressed the release, it wouldn't come out. I couldn't see any foreign matter stuck inside. So as a precaution I sprayed in some "anti rust" then hit it with a hammer. After about 30 seconds, the release un jammed, and now I have a working seat belt.

Has this happened to anyone? Should I be worried about future issues? Just curious if this happened to anyone else.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a safety defect and a free fix at your dealership. Why risk it happening again? Take in and get new

If dealership tries to charge, call Jeeps warranty line/customer support and they will get it taken care of right away
Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem before. I sprayed some graphite lubricant in there and so far so good. I also keep a seat belt cutter mounted in a reachable spot - just in case.

I never thought about talking to the dealership though - good idea.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Does that ever go out of warranty?
Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hskr4x4
That's a safety defect and a free fix at your dealership. Why risk it happening again? Take in and get new

If dealership tries to charge, call Jeeps warranty line/customer support and they will get it taken care of right away
I bought my Jeep from a different location, is it possible to take it into any Jeep Dealership for the safety fix for free?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with the passenger side rear seat belt. It drives every one who sit's there crazy they have to take it off and put it all the way back and then it works fine. Is it covered under some extended warranty?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FallschirmJaeger
A few days ago my seatbelt jammed on me and I had to slide out of my Jeep to get out of the thing. I later drove back home to my tool box and took a look at what was going on.

When I pressed the release, it wouldn't come out. I couldn't see any foreign matter stuck inside. So as a precaution I sprayed in some "anti rust" then hit it with a hammer. After about 30 seconds, the release un jammed, and now I have a working seat belt.

Has this happened to anyone? Should I be worried about future issues? Just curious if this happened to anyone else.

No or should I say not yet.

Quick Reply: Jammed Seat Belt Fix