Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Traction Control Issue

Old 07-17-2017, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Issue U1418 Please Help!

Hey all - the last couple of days I have been having a traction control issue. Tonight was the worse it has been. It has only happened to my as I pull out of my gravel driveway onto a blacktop. No tire spin, but my traction control kicked in and cut power to nearly nothing. I didn't realize it and shifted into second and it nearly died. I shit it off and restart it as I was putting along the blacktop and it did it one more time then settled out and ran fine after that. When this happens, they traction control light comes on while this is happening.

Anybody have any thoughts!

Update from this AM - Had the issue again this AM and this is what I did and the result. I pulled out of my driveway and the TC light came on and it stated to bog down or lose power. I reached down and turned off TC and it seemed to fix the lose of power issue, but shortly after that, the ABS lite came on as well. After about 2 miles, I reached down and turned TC back on and all lights went off. I am perplexed. I will have do some research on the speed sensor and see if that makes sense.

Last edited by Cride; 07-21-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

It sounds like a wheel speed sensor to me.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

My only concern is that I don't see anybody mentioned they are actually losing power with the speed sensor issue.

Originally Posted by mrzw70
It sounds like a wheel speed sensor to me.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

I had this same issue driving on the interstate after hitting some major potholes. Lost significant amount of power (not good in heavy traffic) and had TC light and ABS light come on. Made it to a rest stop let everything cool down and restarted and was fine till two days later on another rough patch of road then same symptoms again. Took it to Advance Autoparts and the code reader showed a faulty driver's side wheel speed sensor. $20 and 30 minutes later it was fixed. The two codes I was getting were C1027 and U140b as I recall.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

So I did pull codes last night and I get U1418 so right side issues. Not sure how to figure out if it is a front or rear.

What is concerning me is the loss of power when it acts up. It really bogs down for a few seconds. This typically happens when first starting the Jeep up taking off the first time. It will bog down and kind of feels like something is binding, then after a few seconds it restores power and everything seems to go back to normal but the ABS and track control lights stay on. They will even go off after a bit of driving. I have also found that if I hit the track control button while it is bogging down, it will immediately restore power.

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Cride
So I did pull codes last night and I get U1418 so right side issues. Not sure how to figure out if it is a front or rear. What is concerning me is the loss of power when it acts up. It really bogs down for a few seconds. This typically happens when first starting the Jeep up taking off the first time. It will bog down and kind of feels like something is binding, then after a few seconds it restores power and everything seems to go back to normal but the ABS and track control lights stay on. They will even go off after a bit of driving. I have also found that if I hit the track control button while it is bogging down, it will immediately restore power. Anybody have any ideas?
Yes it's a wheel speed/ABS sensor. I've gone through 6 of them. Just replace both on the right side, they're cheap. I've had the exact same symptoms you're describing. Don't sweat it, you can replace the rears by just crawling under it. The front just requires pulling the tire, brake caliper, rotor, and slightly bending the heat shield to pull the sensor out.

Last edited by BoraBora; 07-22-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Traction Control Issue