Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trans Temp and fluid level

Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Trans Temp and fluid level

I wanted to check my trans fluid level and I guess I'm confused with this diagram.

Where are these temp readings coming from?

I guess I originally assumed that these temps vs trans dipstick levels where that they were the trans fluid temps.

So I connected my BlueDriver OBD2 scanner to see if I could get some trans temperatures to check my trans fluid level.

However, I'm not seeing a way to get a reading for the trans temp. Are these engine temps?

Here's what BlueDriver is reporting for the JK 3.8L Live Monitor Supported PIDs when connected to the OBD2 port. I'm not seeing a trans temp supported PID.

How do you get trans temp readings?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Strange. My BullyDog pulls transmission temp on my 3.6L '13. I'd think that the BlueDriver would....should be a common setting, and surely your '09 has a transmission temp sensor.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Maybe infrared temp gun getting a reading from the trans pan? I just did my transmission service (posted an update to that thread for some tips) and I definitely think I'm a little over full. It's really hard to get a good reading but I have also found that cleaning the dipstick with brake clean allows for a slightly better reading. I think after the service I had about 4 liters in the catch pan and when I put 4 liters back in it didn't even register on the stick. I put 5 in and now I think I could be a little over full. The extra trans cooler could be the difference on this but I am not sure.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Rednroll,

The temp readings in the picture you posted above are transmission fluid temps. My AeroForce gauge gets the temp readings from the OBD2 port. The OEM trans temp sensor is in the transmission sump.

The temp readings and their corresponding levels on the 42RLE dip stick are taken from data in the factory service manual.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Rednroll,

The temp readings in the picture you posted above are transmission fluid temps. My AeroForce gauge gets the temp readings from the OBD2 port. The OEM trans temp sensor is in the transmission sump.

The temp readings and their corresponding levels on the 42RLE dip stick are taken from data in the factory service manual.
Thank you ronjenx! I knew you had posted that image, but had no clue on where/how you got the temp readings. Really surprised, this is not showing up as an available PID on the BlueDriver OBD2 scanner. It lists PIDs that are supported by the app but not supported vehicle and there's a lot of them. I am kind of shocked Trans temp did not appear in either list that I noticed so far.

Below is the list of "ALL" PIDs the BlueDriver supports....it's a very long list and I did not notice anything which seemed related to Trans Temp. Maybe I'll dig Torque Pro back out since you can manually add PIDs in that app from what I recall.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wy...fl55m8T_YtwwTU

Anyone happen to know the PID for trans temp?

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-04-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

With TorquePro, you actually have to go into the settings and select to activate/download the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep automatic transmission temperature PID*. I just walked a friend through it day before yesterday.

*Settings / Manage extra PIDs/Sensors / (menu--the three dots at upper right) / Add predefined set / Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Mercedes / (select desired PID based on vehicle model)
The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (06-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Trans Temp and fluid level