Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Fill?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Transmission Fill?

Anyone know if there is a listed fluid capacity for the automatic transmission. Just did my trans filter yesterday. I followed the teck article from this forum ( Thank You! ). But after 4.5 quarts, I think that I'm still low? The older I get the harder it is to read a dip stick! I looked in the owners manual and could not find a capacity listing for the transmission.
Thanks for any replies.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about reading dipsticks.

Use a piece of paper towel or toilet paper. Pull the dipstick out and keep it upright. Lay the paper across it. As long as you use a small torn off piece it will stick to the stick.

If you have model masking tape you can use that too. Clean off the dipstick really well and tape down the last few inches, around the bottom and up the other side. The tape has a matte finish and whitish color. It will show the red ATF really well.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Vernnz
I know what you mean about reading dipsticks.

Use a piece of paper towel or toilet paper. Pull the dipstick out and keep it upright. Lay the paper across it. As long as you use a small torn off piece it will stick to the stick.

If you have model masking tape you can use that too. Clean off the dipstick really well and tape down the last few inches, around the bottom and up the other side. The tape has a matte finish and whitish color. It will show the red ATF really well.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did the same thing as you last week

An I ended up putting 6 quarts of ATF+4 in after I was done, which I considered pretty odd. The JK holds 9quarts of tranny fluid total so adding 6 after a filter replacement had me thinking (but it checked out fine) and since then no issues even took a 300mile road trip and everything was fine.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
There is no set spec for an automatic service. It all depends on how long you let it sit there and last time it was started . If you let it sit overnight you will probably have another quart drained from it versus just pulling it in They usually give dry fill specs for that reason
Thanks "Goody" for your reply. I understand the diffrence between opperating fill level and cold fill level. And, I understand that a "fill spec" could vary slightly between diffrent vehicles. But still, one would think that there is just so much space avaliable for fluid in the transmission. And the builders were smart enough to put the little hot and cold marks on the dip stick. I was just wodering if such a spec was provided, be it hot or cold, so that I would atleast know that I was in the ball park with my refill.

Originally Posted by EarlyJk

An I ended up putting 6 quarts of ATF+4 in after I was done, which I considered pretty odd. The JK holds 9quarts of tranny fluid total so adding 6 after a filter replacement had me thinking (but it checked out fine) and since then no issues even took a 300mile road trip and everything was fine.
Thanks EarlyJK. I've heard from others that the tranny actualy holds more oil than what can be drained by a normal filter replacement. Maybe this is the reason why It may be difficult to get a definitive answer to my question.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Junkie

UPDATE

Originally Posted by EarlyJk

Just wanted to thank you again "EarlyJK". And for anyone else that is interested. It took just a little over 5 1/2 qts.
Thanks Everyone.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fill?