Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission Removal

Old 10-22-2018, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Removal

On my 2014, I was told by one shop I had to remove the front drive shaft to remove transmission and by another, that I didn't have to. I have some damage on driveshaft cv joint and was curious if removal of front driveshaft is required?

Last edited by Tppete; 10-22-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So kind of confused by your question.

First, if you're removing the transmission, you'll have to remove the transfer case. That requires you to disconnect the front and rear drive shafts... most folks will just drop both out of the vehicle to get them out of the way...

You have damage to the driveshaft CV joint? Front or rear? Why are you removing the transmission? Is it damaged? If it's just the CV joint on one of the drive shafts, that's a super easy job and can be done with simple tools. There are repair kits for those DVs now I believe.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
So kind of confused by your question.

First, if you're removing the transmission, you'll have to remove the transfer case. That requires you to disconnect the front and rear drive shafts... most folks will just drop both out of the vehicle to get them out of the way...

You have damage to the driveshaft CV joint? Front or rear? Why are you removing the transmission? Is it damaged? If it's just the CV joint on one of the drive shafts, that's a super easy job and can be done with simple tools. There are repair kits for those DVs now I believe.
One shop said they didn't have to disconnect the drive shafts to remove trans to replace seal. Another doing warranty work noticed CV joint damage and said prior shop probably did it so I was just double checking before I started talking to people. The first shop said there is enough room to get out trans without taking everything apart and didn't need to remove front drive shaft.

Quick Reply: Transmission Removal