Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tru-lok, Trac-lok, Vari-lok??

Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tru-lok, Trac-lok, Vari-lok??

Just bought a new Jeep and I'm home for the holidays so I'm reading up to familiarize myself with terminology, technologies, trails, after market parts, etc. and I'm trying to figure out what type of Rear Axle Lock that my new baby has.

On the console I understand what the Front Sway Bar Disconnect is designed to do but I also have a button for the Rear Axle Lock. I'm trying to figure out what type it is for when I get out there and start off roading. I have a feeling it is a Dana built locking system since it was factory installed but is there any way to find out while my Jeep is half way across the country right now? Or what type of information would be helpful to figure that out?

Thanks for your help guys, as you can tell, I'm very much a newb to this stuff but I am like a kid in a candy store with my new toy and looking forward very much to taking it out on the trails!
Old 12-26-2009, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

That switch is there to totally lock the rear differential, locking the left and right axles together. You should only use this feature off road or on very slippery pavement because when it is locked you will notice a lot of binding in the driveline causing wear not only to the rear axles but to the entire driveline. For normal use you still have the benefit of having a trac lok rear diff which sends more traction to the wheel that needs it most, automatically. It also allows slippage for when you turn corners where the totally locked diff will allow no slippage, thus causing the binding.
On the Rubicon models you have this feature on both front and rear diffs but you can only use it in 4 wheel drive low. On the Sierra I think you can use the lock option in 4 high.?
You are right. The rear diff is a Dana 44
Old 12-26-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

It's an electronic locker. The axle is open when the locker is not engaged, and is completely locked when it is.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt.. it is what you want...................
Old 12-26-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trac-lock is a nice feature.

Quick Reply: Tru-lok, Trac-lok, Vari-lok??