Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trunk door extends past 90 degrees and smashes tail light. Please help!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk door extends past 90 degrees and smashes tail light. Please help!

So I bought a brand new 2012 4door altitude 3 weeks ago and When I opened the trunk last week it flew open, broke the retention bar, the hinges and smashed the rear tail light. I took it to the dealership and they "fixed it". it did the same thing the next day so I took it back it they replaced the retention bar again. Last night the door was already opened at 90 degrees and I learned on the bumper to grab something out of the trunk and it broke again. Has anybody had this problem? Is it a Chrysler defect or did I just get a poorly put together Jeep? Please help!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default trunk problems

My 2008 doesn't have a retension bar , but try taking off the nylon retaining strap off the front doors and swing them open slowly and see what happens , when I first bought mine the retension strap wasn't on the pas. door , I opened the door , the wind caught it and wham , a big dent on the pass. side cowl , done by the side door mirror. I feel for you!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Cool Tech LLC. JK Tailgate Gas Strut Kit

from thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...n-help-247238/

If it helps to keep it open, maybe it will also stablize it from smashing your lights. And I agree with verifying that the retention strap is properly in place.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

I'm glad you brought this up. I'm going to have to check the wife's jeep out and make sure that strap is doing its job. Thanks

Last edited by SergeantChuck; 09-10-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FallschirmJaeger
Cool Tech LLC. JK Tailgate Gas Strut Kit

from thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...n-help-247238/

If it helps to keep it open, maybe it will also stablize it from smashing your lights. And I agree with verifying that the retention strap is properly in place.

I'm not sure if this would work. It says that it would open the door more aggressively and quickly. It seems like it would just open it harder and make it more difficult to close. Also, on the newer model jeeps ( I think they started in 2011) there isn't a retention strap on the trunk door like there is on the passenger doors. The strap in the back is just to cover the electrical for the tail lights. They instead put in a bar that attaches to the trunk door and then attaches inside the speaker box inside the trunk. It keeps breaking out of the speaker box housing.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bama_Jk
I'm not sure if this would work. It says that it would open the door more aggressively and quickly. It seems like it would just open it harder and make it more difficult to close. Also, on the newer model jeeps ( I think they started in 2011) there isn't a retention strap on the trunk door like there is on the passenger doors. The strap in the back is just to cover the electrical for the tail lights. They instead put in a bar that attaches to the trunk door and then attaches inside the speaker box inside the trunk. It keeps breaking out of the speaker box housing.
Ok. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 doesnt have a strap on the tailgate. Just a retention bar that keeps it from opening up too far. There is what looks like a strap but is actually just the wiring for the third brake light in a webbing. Sounds like you have a problem with your tailgate that the dealership needs to fix.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Yep. Just looked at both the 07 & 12. That strap is only to protect the harness. The hinge itself has a half moon shaped portion that acts as a stop. I can see how the whole hinge would get ripped off it door door was swung open to hard.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I agree, the dealership is being extremely difficult though. This is the 4th time it needs to be fixed and I looked today and the speaker box is completely coming apart now. I think I may need to pursue the lemon law if these guys won't fix it.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bama_Jk
Yea I agree, the dealership is being extremely difficult though. This is the 4th time it needs to be fixed and I looked today and the speaker box is completely coming apart now. I think I may need to pursue the lemon law if these guys won't fix it.
Please enplane on how you are opening the rear gate. Walk us through the process. Because it sound like the door and taking allot of stress from you opening it.

Are you parked on a slop and letting the gate fly open? I am not trying to say its your fault. I know Chrysler if full of problems. But i want to tend to lean to user error.

Quick Reply: Trunk door extends past 90 degrees and smashes tail light. Please help!