Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trunk door extends past 90 degrees and smashes tail light. Please help!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The retention bar isn't designed to be a stop. It is there only to hold the gate open. The stop is in the hinges.
The way the bar is designed, it actually aids in decelerating the gate to some degree if it is allowed to swing open freely.

If the gate flies open hard enough to break things, it's because the operator allowed it, or caused it, to fly open.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-10-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would take this opportunity to start a DIY project! Couple holes (1 in tub, 1 in gate), some bolts, some lanyard measured carefully. And you have your fix!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by swiber
Please enplane on how you are opening the rear gate. Walk us through the process. Because it sound like the door and taking allot of stress from you opening it.

Are you parked on a slop and letting the gate fly open? I am not trying to say its your fault. I know Chrysler if full of problems. But i want to tend to lean to user error.

The first time it broke, I was on the side of the street with the right side of the car (the direction the tail gate opens) in the gutter. Not the actual gutter, but where the pavement ends and the sidewalk begins. So it was hardly a slope at all. The second time, was when my dad was driving the jeep after he picked it up from service and he said it broke in our driveway which has no slope at all. The 3rd time was in the exact same spot as the first except the trunk door was already open. I wasn't opening it and letting it go, the trunk was simply open to 90 degrees where it is supposed to be and when I leaned on the bumper to reach in the trunk, the bar broke and the tail gate went swinging. Im not sure what to do anymore.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Theonekyle
I would take this opportunity to start a DIY project! Couple holes (1 in tub, 1 in gate), some bolts, some lanyard measured carefully. And you have your fix!

That is exactly what I'm planning on doing, but I still want it fixed to like new again. I've had it for less than 4 weeks
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow, that must be a lot of pressure. My 08 has opened pretty violently on slopes, with a full size 32 BFG Mudder spare and has never gone beyond the hinge stop.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bama_Jk
That is exactly what I'm planning on doing, but I still want it fixed to like new again. I've had it for less than 4 weeks
If you can post some pictures of what is broken. Perhaps its just not being installed correctly.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

I'll try too, I'm still trying to figure out how to upload a pic to my albums haha
Old 09-13-2012, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

AS others have stated, the tail gate stop is part of the 2 hinge assemblies. If they broke the first time when it happened and the dealer did not replace them you will continue to break things. Look at your hinges and see if the stop is intact. The door should open to 90 Deg. and stop.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
AS others have stated, the tail gate stop is part of the 2 hinge assemblies. If they broke the first time when it happened and the dealer did not replace them you will continue to break things. Look at your hinges and see if the stop is intact. The door should open to 90 Deg. and stop.
They will not replace the hinges. I keep asking them too otherwise it will keep breaking like you said. I'm taking it to a different dealership today.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried fabricating your own limit strap? I have a 2009 and the factory strap stops it. I know it sucks the bar from the factory keeps breaking on you, but maybe if you fabbed something up you wont need the bar. I do agree though, it should function as designed.

Quick Reply: Trunk door extends past 90 degrees and smashes tail light. Please help!