Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

turn off ESP

Old 03-12-2007, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn off ESP

whats up, trying to figure out how to completely turn off the esp in 2wd. its my truck i don't want a danged electronic nanny telling me i can't do donuts.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by h20squirter
whats up, trying to figure out how to completely turn off the esp in 2wd. its my truck i don't want a danged electronic nanny telling me i can't do donuts.
Hey there. This has been asked a bunch of times (use the search function - it works wonders) - to save you some reading, I'll tell you that you can't fully disable the ESP in 2WD... you can only go "partial off" in 2WD, full-off in 4LO, not sure if you can go full-off in 4HI... the owner's manual is really clear on this, though.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

2wd= press esp off button once to turn of traction control

4wd Hi= press esp off button once to turn of traction control
4wd Hi= Press and hold esp off button for 5 seconds to turn off esp completely, although i think it comes back on if you travel over 40 MPG

4wd lo=esp is automatically turned off completely until you travel over 40 MPH

I think its in the owners manual. I hope that helps.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Traction control is the bomb once you learn to use it. Turning off the ESP does help when you are in snow but keep the traction control. Once you get a chance to have more time behind the wheel of the JK I think you will actually like the ESP and the Traction control. And heaven forbid you may need it one day when you least think it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not to be a smart a$$, but this has been covered several times on here. There is only a "Partial Off" mode when in two wheel drive. Check the Owners Manual. See post number 2 of this thread.

Hey there. This has been asked a bunch of times (use the search function - it works wonders) - to save you some reading, I'll tell you that you can't fully disable the ESP in 2WD... you can only go "partial off" in 2WD, full-off in 4LO, not sure if you can go full-off in 4HI... the owner's manual is really clear on this, though.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Give the ESP system a shot before trying to get rid of it-- "partial off" will most likely get the behavior you're after when playing around, while leaving it on for normal driving is a good thing.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

ill be the necro post here

Ok, lets start by saying FUCK YOU ESP, i have almost gotten into multipul wrecks because of this piece of shit design. my story, when ever i get on or off a highway(i25 to be exact) the on and off ramps are like hair pin turns. and for the on ramp(entering i25) its a double, people coming on and people going off. so you have about 25 yards to make it up to speed and on i25 before going off the road. well, every time i go around it, i can only go 25 mph and and with the sharpness of the turn ESP turns on and slows me down even further(keep in mind i am entering a highway thats 2 lanes and 75+ mph. i almost got taken out with a truck and a semi on many instances. has anyone found out how to shut this DEATH TRAP OFF?

and on a side note, i did shut it off but it doesnt shut all the way off... I HATE IT!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Monster Jk
ill be the necro post here

Ok, lets start by saying FUCK YOU ESP, i have almost gotten into multipul wrecks because of this piece of shit design. my story, when ever i get on or off a highway(i25 to be exact) the on and off ramps are like hair pin turns. and for the on ramp(entering i25) its a double, people coming on and people going off. so you have about 25 yards to make it up to speed and on i25 before going off the road. well, every time i go around it, i can only go 25 mph and and with the sharpness of the turn ESP turns on and slows me down even further(keep in mind i am entering a highway thats 2 lanes and 75+ mph. i almost got taken out with a truck and a semi on many instances. has anyone found out how to shut this DEATH TRAP OFF?

and on a side note, i did shut it off but it doesnt shut all the way off... I HATE IT!!!
There is a thread about installing a switch that will COMPLETELY disable all features of the ESP.

I have heard of others having the same problem you are having.
What I don't understand is why mine and a lot of others don't see what you are seeing.
I wonder if it has to do with suspension mods.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

When your going 50 on a snowy highway and the rear end starts to kick out then esp saves your ass, you'll most likely have a different opinion.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here do this to completely disable it.(not partially). its in the manual. this completely turns it off ... do it again to turn it back on you have to do it exactly as it says for it to work.. it will flash esp off if you do it correctly and display the wavy lines all the time..

1. Place into 4H
2. turn jeep off then on (actually start the jeep)
3. center wheel
4. turn clockwise so JEEP is upside down at 180 degrees
5. press and hold esp for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
6. recenter wheel
7. turn counter clockwise till JEEP is upside down.
8. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds (at 5 secs you will hear one chime) now depress the esp button keeping the wheel in the same position hold 7 seconds. you will hear another chime.
9. Recenter wheel
10. Press and hold ESP for 7 seconds. then depress until you hear the chime.
11. Turn off Jeep

Last edited by blockrockin; 10-31-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: turn off ESP