Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turning off the headlights for "lock & Unlock"????

Old 02-28-2008, 12:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning off the headlights for "lock & Unlock"????

Turning off the headlights for "lock & Unlock" using the FOB???? I'm wondering if anyone knows how to do it or if it is even possible. I don't mind the marker lights flashing but, having my headlights come on, and stay on for what seems like forever, every time is really getting annoying .

I have an 04' Liberty with the EVIC system in it. It gives me certain options, similar to that, at the touch of a button. This one doesn't.....either that, or I just cant seem to find it.

Tony
Old 02-28-2008, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

it is in the manual...i dont have mine handy, but even that is online somewhere. i know it can be done though.

edit: page 22 in the manual

To Turn Off “Flash Lights With Lock”
NOTE: The Flash Lights With Lock feature can be
turned on or off by performing the following steps:
1. Press the “Unlock” button for 4 to 10 seconds.
2. While the “Unlock” button is pressed , (after 4 seconds)
press the “Lock” button. Release both buttons.
3.Test the flash lamps with LOCK feature while outside
of the vehicle, by pressing the “Lock” button on the key
fob with the ignition in the LOCK position, and the key
removed.

Last edited by mtnmedic; 02-28-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does that stop the headlights illuminating and staying on? Or does that stop the flashing of the lights when you hit the lock key?
Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that just stops the parking lights from flashing when it is locked & unlocked. He's looking to prevent the headlights from coming on when the Jeep is unlocked. I agree that it's kind of annoying.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you turn the column switch off twice the lights will go off. Then you will have to lock the doors using the switch in the door panal.If you use the fob the lights will go on again.

Last edited by pkdailey4; 02-28-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
If you turn the column switch off twice the lights will go off. Then you will have to lock the doors using the switch in the door panal.If you use the fob the lights will go on again.
That still won't prevent the headlights from coming on and staying on when you use the remote to unlock the doors.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

There was a Q&A with Jeep Engineers over on JF that addressed this. It can be disabled, but only by using the StarScan tool (dealer). There are apparently "customer options" that they can customize. Wonder what else you can change?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikejwil
There was a Q&A with Jeep Engineers over on JF that addressed this. It can be disabled, but only by using the StarScan tool (dealer). There are apparently "customer options" that they can customize. Wonder what else you can change?
That is correct, I was also getting frustrated trying to turn it off, thinking the manual instructions "Turn off flashlights" is what I was trying to do. But as someone else has pointed out, it's the flashing orange night lights (or whatever u call them), not the headlights.

I took my JK Rubi to a local Jeep Dealership Service Centre here in Brisbane Australia. They warned me that all the JK's off the production line are programmed differently with their electronics, so in some cases they are able to turn on/off features, in other cases they can't. The only way they will know is when you bring your JK in to have it changed. As mikejwil mentioned, they will check for updates on the StarScan tool to see if they have the option to turn it off.

To make it interesting though, originally I took my JK to a Service centre closer to where I live. They checked it, and said they couldn't do it (known for their bad reputation). I took it to another service centre further away from home, they checked - and changed it no prolems!!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

the delay upon unlock with the fob is factory set I think at 90 seconds.

I borrowed a starscan from a dealer and shut it off... put the delay to 0 seconds

And yes its under customer options

Old 02-28-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default headlights on when locking

I think the headlight thing could be useful at night if you live in a rural area or not well lit place. But what I always wondered and forgot to ask about, is you know when you lock it (with keyless remote), why do the headlights at times stay on for a bit and sometimes they don't? I havn't figured out the patern yet. Although, I think it would be awsome if they would light up at certain times (when it gets dark, ex. 6pm-6am).

Quick Reply: Turning off the headlights for "lock & Unlock"????