Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Unlimited Towing Capacity Question?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited Towing Capacity Question?

As I am considering purchasing a new Unlimited, I am confused about the towing capacity. Website says standard towing capacity 1000 lbs. and maximun 3500 lbs. Options include a "trailer tow group" package and a "max tow package." Which package do I need in order to be able to tow the max weight? It seems as I am finding most Unlimiteds built up with just the "trailer tow group." I understand each has a different rear axle ratio. Thanks for any input/advice.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Get the max tow which comes with 3.73 gears. In the USA it does not result in a higher tow rating, but in reality the jeep will have improved towing, among all the other benefits of 3.73 over the 3.21. I do not think you will find any jeep enthusiast recommending the 3.21 standard gears. Search for a recent post of mine. I have been doing research into why the rating is low compared to for example the Liberty which is 5000 pounds. I have concluded that the same JKU in Sweden, England, and Germany is rated for 4400 pounds according to the jeep websites for those countries. It's actually rated for 4800 in Australia. I wish someone could explain why it is low in the US but it may be related to the fact that the jeeps top and doors are removable and are not designed to protect the occupants.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really depends on what you want to tow. For sure you will not be able to tow a 33 foot airstream but you will be fine towing a normal wakeboard boat. Well i say "fine", i had 4.10 in my 3.8 rubi and sometimes wished i had more power on the hills.. I say go with max tow package.

Quick Reply: Unlimited Towing Capacity Question?