Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

update to wind noise fix on soft top

Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update to wind noise fix on soft top

I don't know if this has been covered before- I've read through a few pages of discussion on the noisy tops.
I went to home depot and got that garage foam tape and put a strip on my lid, cutting noise drastically.
then I put a second strip at the 45-ish degree angle just beyond the lip on the lid.
that didn't seem to do much, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why there was still noise...and it wasn't really localized.
on a hunch I grabbed the thermal shirt on the seat and stuffed it over the header in that gap and voila... almost no noise.
so that's the fix- get a thermal shirt and stuff it in that gap after sealing the seam.
I suppose eventually I'll get sick of pushing it in place and find another piece of foam to wedge /glue in there. Thought y'all would like to know.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shorebound
I don't know if this has been covered before- I've read through a few pages of discussion on the noisy tops.
I went to home depot and got that garage foam tape and put a strip on my lid, cutting noise drastically.
then I put a second strip at the 45-ish degree angle just beyond the lip on the lid.
that didn't seem to do much, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why there was still noise...and it wasn't really localized.
on a hunch I grabbed the thermal shirt on the seat and stuffed it over the header in that gap and voila... almost no noise.
so that's the fix- get a thermal shirt and stuff it in that gap after sealing the seam.
I suppose eventually I'll get sick of pushing it in place and find another piece of foam to wedge /glue in there. Thought y'all would like to know.
can you take pics so i cansee what you did.. my top is very noisy
Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

someone was gonna do it.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

ok okok ok ... I'll take some pics!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

ok okok ok ... I'll take some pics!
Thank you
Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

I did the same thing, but with heavy leather, and it works!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rangleme
Thank you
NOT of that!

ok, here's pics. I'm too lazy to take top off and if you can't figure out how to stick the foam tape on the lip of the lid then you should smack yourself hard in the face RIGHT NOW.
You'll see a good 1 1/2" lip where it seals to the weatherstripping once you unclamp. I rubbed a towel with alcohol to clean it off and then after it dried, put the foam on - you can see it sticking up bad in the pic. I hope it settles a bit. if not, I don't really care because it's quiet and I don't look up there when I'm driving anyway.
The second layer I put on I don't think made a difference, but it went just behind the first along the \ edge leading to the header.
shirt is self explanatory
I'll secure it once I find some bailing wire.
foam tape

gap filled (how much of that is just opened up on the freeway I wonder, if that foam can force it up like that?)

dirty laundry
Old 01-16-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

thanks for the pics. Ill try the tape this weekend.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Man! The Pics are good
Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

By putting a "shirt" up in that place kinda makes for a new model of Wrangler....Trailer Trash Wrangler.

If you really want to be funny put a fake arm in the shirt and have it hang down when parked.

Seriously I may try this to stop wind noise.

Quick Reply: update to wind noise fix on soft top