Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Upgrading seat covers

Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any feedback on the quality of the Smittybilt neoprene seat covers on a 2009 JK?
The $149 price is attractive, but how about the quality?
My OEM seats are in bad shape open top and doors in the summer, but mostly due to my being wet as I trailer my boat all summer in+out of saltwater.
Waterproof and tight fit are important!
PowerStop Rotors & Calipers
MyGig (replaced screen)

Last edited by Bucc18; 03-20-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would recommend Marathon. I've had them on all 3 jeeps I have had. Pricy ,but worth it. Perfect fit and tough as nails. And they have lots of colors and patterns. I had the digital camo on my 1st set, and went with the Kryptec Typhon on my new ones. Love them
Old 03-29-2019, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucc18
Any feedback on the quality of the Smittybilt neoprene seat covers on a 2009 JK?
The $149 price is attractive, but how about the quality?
My OEM seats are in bad shape open top and doors in the summer, but mostly due to my being wet as I trailer my boat all summer in+out of saltwater.
Waterproof and tight fit are important!
I have these Smittybilt G.E.A.R. custom fit covers, have had them for about a year, mostly top and door free. So far they've been holding up really well, and I've been highly impressed by them. They're comfortable, practical, and fit well. Big fan, at least so far.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Somehow I missed this thread I've had my Katzkin leather for probably 4.5 years now. To my dismay, my driver's side seat wore a lot on the outter seam, and just recent started to separate a bit. Now, I know a LOT of this is my fault in how I exit the jeep. 3.5" and 37s, and being maybe a few pounds overweight.......I tend to slide on out, even being 6' tall. So, I see how the seat wore a bit there, but then again, this isn't even a DD, and hasn't been for the last 3 years, so it's not seeing that much abuse! I'm a bit frustrated, but keep reminding myself that I got a killer deal on these covers. My plan, although a HUGE pain in the ass, is to remove both front seats, and swap the seat skins from the driver's side to passenger side seats. That will put the worn seam on the interior side of the passenger seat next to the middle console, and would assume buy me another 4 years of sliding in and out of the driver's seat.
My katzskins have been on for 9 years now. I witnessed the same on my driver's seat 7 years in. I originally sent an email to Katzkin to order a replacement bottom seat cover, but apparently they don't support end customers...they never responded. So I'm guessing I need to go to an authorized dealer for a replacement or a shop to have it repaired. I'm going to try and figure that out some time this summer. There's an auto leather upholstery shop 5 miles from my house. I'm going to start there, 1st to see if they can order a replacement bottom seat skin or to do the repair and weigh out my cost options. I'll let you know what I find out.

So yeah, I agree they do seem to wear after awhile but for the wear/tear I have gotten out of them, I've still been pretty satisfied with them. Only my bottom driver seat skin is worn where I slide in/out like you have seen.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-31-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm actually looking at a set of StyleTec seat covers. I believe they are Quadratec exclusive. They are fabric, fitted, and the set is front and back for $170+ free shipping. Anybody have any experience with these? They have really good reviews on the Quadratec site.

Quick Reply: Upgrading seat covers