Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vent selector Knob hard to Turn

Old 02-01-2019, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vent selector Knob hard to Turn

have an '08 JK. The Air Vent Knob that selects the air flow to the Vents, Window, feet..is getting stuck and hard to turn. I took the center dash panel and the Glove box off to inspect the Cable. The Cable on Both ends are good and are in place. It just is hard to turn and sometimes gets stuck. Did the Wd40 thing but still doesn't seem right. Has anyone had and fixed this issue ? Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mine is tough to set in the defrost spot but usually if I slowly roll it over there and then give it a quick turn then it'll hold. Pulling the unit from the console made it easier to slide through the different modes.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Found on YouTube

. Worked like a Charm !
The following 2 users liked this post by mredjeep:
casalaparrott (01-03-2022), hornetman (02-22-2021)
Old 02-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Thanks for posting the video. I've had the problem Karl described of getting it to lock into the furthest defrost position. Last year, I shot the cable with lithium grease and put a zip-tie on the end of the cable. That worked for awhile, but now it's back to not working. Looks like a good spring time project to pull that gear off and clean it up. I dislike working on these things when it's freezing cold out, although that's when I need it to work most.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've pulled mine apart like the video shows and while I didn't clean out all of the light dust accumulation, I find it hard to believe the dust changes things. You can see the slack in the cable when he gets to the defrost setting. That slack is what makes it tough to get into defrost mode. I'll try to shoot air in there and see what happens.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've pulled mine apart like the video shows and while I didn't clean out all of the light dust accumulation, I find it hard to believe the dust changes things. You can see the slack in the cable when he gets to the defrost setting. That slack is what makes it tough to get into defrost mode. I'll try to shoot air in there and see what happens.
That's what I always assumed it was the slack in the cable, thus the reason I added the zip tie to remove some of the slack. The thing I've found odd that I noticed. When it's really freezing cold out, that's when it always seems to refuse to lock into the far defrost position. While I'm driving, and my windshield is freezing up, I'll often have to hold the dial into the full defrost position but as my Jeep starts to warm up, then it will eventually lock into that defrost position again. That's what is really a mystery to me is that it won't lock into a position until after the cabin warms up. I've tried the completely cycling the dial backwards and forwards as suggested and that hasn't worked for me. Last week the temps here in Michigan were in the 7Deg F range and that's when I was again experiencing the problem of it not locking into the full Defrost position setting.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-03-2019 at 08:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jessica Spencer (11-21-2020)
Old 02-03-2019, 09:30 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

There's a gun lube spray by Hornady called OneShot, it's wet initially then dries so it dosn't attract crud. Used a bit on mine after cleaning and it's been very smooth.

Old 12-21-2020, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black air vent

How do you remove that black vent?
also how do you know where the pins go when you reassemble the white circular selector. ??

Originally Posted by mredjeep
https://youtu.be/KwAZtZFArzA. Worked like a Charm !
Old 02-22-2021, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Related problem

Originally Posted by mredjeep
https://youtu.be/KwAZtZFArzA. Worked like a Charm !
I have a related problem...on my Jeep, when the white wheel turns it pushes on the white lever behind it to engage defrost. However, when it turns back, the lever does no return to its original position and the defrost stays on. Any idea what causes this problem or what the part is even called? Upon further reading, I’m thinking the back pin probably has come out. I’m going to look at this again.

Yep, that’s it!! Great video!!! Thank you!! Now, if I can just fix my other heating problem...

Last edited by Amanda Byars; 02-22-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Vent selector Knob hard to Turn