Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Verify your tire pressure.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Verify your tire pressure.

So I took my new (still stock) Jeep Rubicon Unlimited into the dealer for a "free" oil change and to check my TPMS light that was acting up.

My guage said all tires were at the prescribed 37 per the door panel.

They said all tires were 4 to 5 psi low. They reset the TPMS and filled the tires. All's well, right?

Except, I figured my guage must be crap. I threw it away and bought an electronic one. I go read the tires now 8 days post visit to the dealer. 60 psi in each tire! This new guage has to be way off. I go borrow the neighbor's old style guage. 60 psi.

Now that would explain the extremely rough ride wouldn't it.

Called the service advisor and explained the situation. He said that when the weather's warmer they always fill them up a couple of psi over the prescribed. I said 23 is not a couple and is your tech smokin' crack? Ok I didn't ask if he was smokin' crack. But, what the heck?

Let the air out to a much more comfortable 37 and wow what a difference that ride makes.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

Whoa, I think the max pressure is like 44psi on the stock tires... major safety hazard, thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Your lucky you didn't have a blowout assuming your not running load range E.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! and I thought anything above 32psi was too high...

Quick Reply: Verify your tire pressure.