Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warning: Careful With Doors

Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning: Careful With Doors

So, went by to today to bother my local Jeep Dealer and finally order my Sahara. Walked to the back lot where the new Jeeps come in to decide on a color since they had all the choices out there. A few dealers are huddled around the drivers door of a new white Rubicon. I walked up to see what they were looking at and saw a huge dent in the hood cowl right in front of the drivers door.

Here is the warning...

***Make sure when you take off your doorstraps that you do not let the door swing fully open***

If you do and a gust of wind catches it, DC engineers in there infinite wisdom designed the mirrors at a perfect height to smash into the cowl. People that own a new JK can check it out.

First item for me to buy now...mirror relocation brackets.

Last edited by Milkman; 10-20-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sux, thanks for the heads up
Old 10-20-2006, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just take a good hard look in this area when you pick up your Jeeps. They halfway pounded the dent out and delivered to a guy that was waiting for it. Straight on you couldn't see the dent but from the side it was visible.

Of course they didn't say anything to him about it.

There was 2 Jeeps on the lot with these dents. A rescue green X 2 door and the white 2 door Rubicon.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bummer for the unsuspecting buyer. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

im confused, on my rubican thers a 1" strap on the inside connecting the door to the inside along with the power cord

i don't think i can even force the door out enough so the mirror would hit.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

But if you take or knock that strap off....
Old 10-21-2006, 04:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

That strap can be disconnected when you remove the doors. Should show you how in your owners manual I would bet. When that is disconnected there is nothing keeping your door from opening up fully since it is just a pin hinge.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:26 PM
JK Super Freak

LOl......R.T.F.M.....Read The F***ing Manual! It specifically mentions this as a potential problem.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Red face I was wondering about that...

Originally Posted by Milkman
So, went by to today to bother my local Jeep Dealer and finally order my Sahara. Walked to the back lot where the new Jeeps come in to decide on a color since they had all the choices out there. A few dealers are huddled around the drivers door of a new white Rubicon. I walked up to see what they were looking at and saw a huge dent in the hood cowl right in front of the drivers door.

Here is the warning...

***Make sure when you take off your doorstraps that you do not let the door swing fully open***

If you do and a gust of wind catches it, DC engineers in there infinite wisdom designed the mirrors at a perfect height to smash into the cowl. People that own a new JK can check it out.

First item for me to buy now...mirror relocation brackets.
Then you could catch the door, if it is a full door...DC should try to solve this one...I have a Rubi Unlimited on order in Jeep Green...
Old 10-22-2006, 02:51 AM
JK Newbie

why take off strap? and if your going to take the door off do it from the outside

Last edited by bulldog; 10-22-2006 at 02:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Warning: Careful With Doors