Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Weird Heater Issues - Help needed

Old 12-12-2017, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Heater Issues - Help needed

I've searched, talked to local jeep owners, etc. and have not been able to identify a cause, any help would be appreciated.

Symptoms:
25% of the time, heater works fine
75% of the time, luke warm/cold air blows from all vents when idling - engine warm. When the gas is pressed, the air changes to hot. Let off the gas, back to cold air.

2012 JKUR with about 70,000 miles. Coolant was drained and replaced last year, but no flush.

Any body have a clue what could be going on here?
Old 12-12-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You may have a bubble in your coolant system. If that bubble gets lodged in the heater core, it's less efficient. Check out a YouTube video or two on how to burp a cooling system, then do that. Have some coolant handy so you can top it off once done. Be certain to get the right coolant for your vehicle. My recommendation: Steer clear of universal coolants and buy direct from Jeep dealer. If you aren't sure what was used when it was last changed, check with whoever did it and use that and hope for the best. Bottom line: It's no longer safe for your engine to mix coolant types, and you'll get longer life from the coolant manufactured to Chrysler's standards.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

You can refer to my thread below, which just happens to be 15 posts away from yours on your endless search.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...roblem-339178/

The 1st post lists the top 13 causes of heater related problems. Based on your symptoms, you're likely looking at #2, #7, or #13. Most likely #2 as Mark described.

The best way to burb the system is to raise the front of you JK on the side of the radiator cap so the radiator cap is the highest point......Air always travels to the highest elevated point. Then with your JK running, start filling into the radiator little by little while squeezing the top radiator hose to get all the air out of the system.

Last edited by Rednroll; 12-13-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the link Rednroll! I have the exact same issue as the OP but hadn't started my search through the forum for a fix just yet. Made my life a little easier.

Last edited by newcomb; 12-16-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my 08. I have a known coolant leak I've been putting off fixing. Every time it gets low the heater stops working while at idle. Throw some coolant in there and see if it works.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

Yep these folks are on the right track with the system needing to be burped. I had the same symptoms about two weeks ago after changing upper/lower intake gaskets. After the burp everything has been running just fine for the last 1500 miles.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Default Heater Issues looking for advice

My problem is that the only way the heat works is when its on the hottest level on the thermostat. When I move it any bit cooler it just goes to cold. Dealer told me to replace heater core.... I don't have an odor, no fogging of the windshield, and it does get warm when you put the thermostat all the way to hot. I took the car to another mechanic and he said the heater core looks fine. Not sure what the issue can be. Any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by jscaccia
My problem is that the only way the heat works is when its on the hottest level on the thermostat. When I move it any bit cooler it just goes to cold. Dealer told me to replace heater core.... I don't have an odor, no fogging of the windshield, and it does get warm when you put the thermostat all the way to hot. I took the car to another mechanic and he said the heater core looks fine. Not sure what the issue can be. Any suggestions?
Is this possibly a blend door issue? The fact that it's affected by simply changing the setting even a little off the hottest level would have me searching in that direction.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Is this possibly a blend door issue? The fact that it's affected by simply changing the setting even a little off the hottest level would have me searching in that direction.
Yes, sounds like a blend door issue. My guess would be is that some of the gears have stripped on the blend door actuator assembly. Probably should do the telescopic camera to confirm full movement of the blend door as I did in my diagnostic discussion. That blend door repair looks like a major pain, but some with small hands and lots of patients have done it without removing the entire dash. I have neither, so I was really thankful my blend door wasn't the problem.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late reply, tried everything suggested with no resolution, then summer came. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm hoping I finally have it solved. I replaced oil filter housing ( Mopar 5184294AR) and the thermostat and overflow bottle. A couple of weeks ago, I had the overflow hose blow off of the radiator filler neck, and the end of the hose permanently expanded enough that it wouldn't fit tight any longer (even with a clamp added). Both the oil filter housing and thermostat had coolant leaks small enough (or only under pressure) that I never saw any coolant, it was either evaporating or blowing off in the wind. With both of those replaced last week, I've consistently had heat as normal. Haven't put a thermometer in the vents yet, but feels scorching hot again like it should. This year the leaks must have gotten worse, as I did notice the coolant disappearing and was having to refill. Apparently the coolant leak from the oil filter housing is common, usually not big enough to see any visual evidence, as it leaks onto the top of the engine and evaporates before it can run down.
The following users liked this post:
Rednroll (12-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Weird Heater Issues - Help needed