Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do you consider the most essential or most useful "non-mechanical" mods?

Old 05-19-2009, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you consider the most essential or most useful "non-mechanical" mods?

As a newbie to the Forum, I have found invaluable information here that has helped me understand and enjoy my Jeep more and more - - as well as make informed decisions about product purchases, functional/mechanical problems and/or performance issues that I have experienced with my JK.

Through using the search function or just reading posts, I have stumbled across things to do to my JK that have fixed minor annoyances or educated me on upgrades that I wanted to do.

Jeeps aren't cars. They aren't trucks. They are their own special breed - often imitated, never duplicated - a living, never ending project that allows for huge amounts of customization and personalization.

I know many forum members make major modifications - lift kits, rear ends, gearing, tires, etc. - that drive frequent posts. These mods vary and are based on how each person uses their JK. A common theme is there is some major expense and complexity around these mods.

I thought it would be interesting to have members list the mods/fixes/adjustments/etc. that they have done that are less costly (or free!), or less difficult than some of the big dollar/complex mechanical items, but that has increased their overall happiness or enjoyment from their JK. Maybe a better way to say this is "What would be the first 5 or 10 low cost/low difficulty improvements you would tell your best friend to do to his/her new JK?".

If this has been done before and I simply missed it in my search - I apologize.

Here are my simple mod favorites:

1) Drilled holes in my side view mirror bases to allow drainage of rain/wash water. FREE!

See related post here, thanks Rubimon!: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=mirror+drill

2) Used a bungee cord to hold my rear headrests down. Free! My kids' car seats were angled forward due to the headrests "pushing" against the car seat back......not anymore.

See related post here (post #47 has a great pic): https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...?t=6069&page=5

3) Replaced my hood latches with Daystar Hood Wranglers. Under $30. My hood fluttered at relatively low speeds (45 and over) and almost came off if passed by a tractor trailer! Not any more!!!!

4) Installed a MyGIG Lockpick V2 and Mopar Microphone Kit. Just under $240. If you have the MyGIG system, the Lockpick (or similar product like AllGig or MyLock) allows all the functionality of the MyGig to be enable - such as backup cameras, DVD viewing in motion, integrated Uconnect speaker phone, Nav system input in motion, video out, video in, etc. This is SO useful!

5) Installed a Tuffy Security Console insert. Under $250. This gives me a place to lockup my radar detector, sunglasses, etc. when I am away from the jeep but have the top and/or doors off. It also gave me a taller armrest with a cushion - which is awesome! One note, if you do this, make sure you get the gas strut to hold the console lid open - its very heavy and slams shut.....busts knuckles too (ask me how I know).

Two things I still want to do but haven't yet: Replace headlights with brighter ones (ie. Cibies, Hellas, etc. - maybe with a new wiring harness) and Rhino Line the interior tub......hate that carpet, but don't want just bare painted floors!

Obviously, personal needs and tastes vary, but these non-mechanical mods/fixes have increased my happiness with my JK! Please share what has made you happier too!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

My wife was a big fan of the $30 O shit handles. When off roading she really likes having something to hold on to.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Congrats on the Jeep and welcome to the forum! Let me know if you ever want to test your Jeep out at Uwharrie or something, there are plenty of us around Charlotte.

Take out the carpet. You get used to the bare metal floors, and really like them the first time you hit a mud puddle with the doors off... Pull the plugs and hose away!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Kupost
My wife was a big fan of the $30 O shit handles. When off roading she really likes having something to hold on to.
X2 on this, We got wego4x4 (hes a member here) a set of 4 for $55.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

I just put sylvana silverstars instead of stock and I love them so much brighter. Also where did you find your tuffy console I bought an x that doesn't have a console at all so I am looking into that mod.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I actually forgot about the O Shit handles - so x3 on that one! I have the Mopar one - which came with one handle and one coat hook for less than $25.

Citadel - May take you up on Uwharrie!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drone17
I just put sylvana silverstars instead of stock and I love them so much brighter. Also where did you find your tuffy console I bought an x that doesn't have a console at all so I am looking into that mod.
I bought mine from 4wd.com since they have a store local to me - which equals free shipping - and they had a great price. I have seen them everywhere though online, including buying direct from Tuffy (which is where I bought my gas strut). Just google it and you will gets lots of hits.

BUT, mine did not ship with the gas strut (Tuffy just started including the gas strut built in), so I had to buy the gas strut kit and add it. It would have been a simpler add had I done it before installing the console. FWIW, the color match to the interior from Tuffy was perfect.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
I bought mine from 4wd.com since they have a store local to me - which equals free shipping - and they had a great price. I have seen them everywhere though online, including buying direct from Tuffy (which is where I bought my gas strut). Just google it and you will gets lots of hits.

BUT, mine did not ship with the gas strut (Tuffy just started including the gas strut built in), so I had to buy the gas strut kit and add it. It would have been a simpler add had I done it before installing the console. FWIW, the color match to the interior from Tuffy was perfect.
Best was the silverstars amazon free ship
Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

The best Free mods. take the doors and top off.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't remember where I got it, I have a chocolate lab that rides with me a lot, so I did a search on line for a 2 dog leash. there is 3 straps connected with rings. the 2 are 24 inches and the other 1 was 18. and each end had a snap clasp on it. I also got 4 1 inch D rings from them.
I put the D rings in each corner of the jeep (with hard top off). I used the same bolts for the top and bolted the D rings on the side rail where the top sits ( you can do this with the top on also)
I hooked up 1- 18 inch strap and 1- 24 across the back from side to side. ( I use the front ones for the leash and the back ones for tying things down.) I hook the other 24 inch to my dogs collar so she can move freely from side to side and to the tail gate but cant leave the back.
The whole thing cost about 30 bucks with shipping.

Quick Reply: What do you consider the most essential or most useful "non-mechanical" mods?