Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What hardware is needed to install factory rubi rock rails?

Old 09-26-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What hardware is needed to install factory rubi rock rails?

Just picked up a set of used rubi rock rails for $80 off a guy in Indiana. He doesn't have the hardware. Does anyone know what I need to buy. Hopefully it is something cheap from the hardware store. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2-door rails have (2) medium size (M10?) bolts that attach the brackets to the body and (4) small bolts that attach through the pinch seam on each side. You can use hardware from the parts store if you want. The medium size bolts use the clips with the nuts built in (can't think of their name) so they stay in place even when the bolt isn't secured. There is enough room to get your finger in and put a nut on it if you don't have the clips.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

I just trimmed my stock rubi rails by 2-1/2" yesterday to make way for 37's. There are 4 nuts (10mm socket, not sure of size) & two bolts (1/2" socket, not sure of bolt size) per side.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What hardware is needed to install factory rubi rock rails?

I believe the clips are called tinnerman clips..

Sent from my Droid
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
I believe the clips are called tinnerman clips..

Sent from my Droid
You are correct. Buy this man a beer.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or speed nuts
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Would the rock rails hold with just the bolts going through the sheet metal or do I have to get the longer bolts. I am no going off roading, just driving around town. Maybe I should just wait but wanted to get them on before I leave for vacation.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would think it would hold okay with just the (4) small bolts thru the pinch seam if you're just driving around but it would be really fast to add the two larger bolts while you're at it and be done with it. It only takes 10 minutes per side to do all of them incuding a couple of minutes to find the correct wrench. : )
Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are probably right. My wife doesn't know I snatched these up and I want to get them on without her knowing. I have aftermarket tube step bars and I think I am going to have to take them off to put the rails on. Might take some time. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JSavage
You are probably right. My wife doesn't know I snatched these up and I want to get them on without her knowing. I have aftermarket tube step bars and I think I am going to have to take them off to put the rails on. Might take some time. Thanks for the help.
That's funny. I did the same thing but mine came with the factory side steps which I hated. I sold my plastic steps on Craigslist and bought the Rubi rails used for the same price. I had them on for ~ a month and one day my wife was trying to get in and asked why there wasn't a step anymore.

Quick Reply: What hardware is needed to install factory rubi rock rails?