Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What is this noise?

Old 09-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 6sp and had some noises start sometime around 12k miles or so. At 71k I still have it. Seems do be noticeable when the engine and transmission get hot.

And my clutch pedal used to sound like a creaky rocking chair when pushing the clutch in. I had the brake fluid flushed and filled, and then it felt like a whole new clutch and no more creaking, although still rattles when hot. The fluid change was at about 55k.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:32 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought a 2013 sahara 4 dr with 6sp manual tranny. I haven't experience these problems but what I have been noticing when I shift from 2nd to 3rd just as I release the clutch I get a back jerking motion along with a clanking sound. Like something loose or even sticking. Anyone else experience this problem?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 AM
DJR
JK Enthusiast

Hi Cshanafelt,

I had the exact issue when I first purchased my 2007 JKU. The dealership could not find the problem either. They replaced the TOB, clutch, and finally the transmission (which eventually killed the vehicle). During this time I even "Lemon Lawed" the vehicle and won. The problem is, nothing they did fixed the noise at all. The best reply I had to any of the posts I had in here, was one gentleman who suggested it was probably (forgive my lack of technical terminology) a cable down in the clutch area that expands when it heats up and rubs when the clutch is depressed causing this noise (click, click, click). After all the crap the dealership did to the engine / transmission, I had to sell it (the Jeep would no longer go into 5th gear). I sold the 2007 and bought a 2011 and guess what - SAME EXACT NOISE LESS THEN 5000 MILES INTO IT! Instead of panicking this time, I said I'm just going to wait until it breaks and pray it's within my warranty. With my commute 125 miles round trip each day, the warranty was done a little over the first year. I now have +85K miles on it, still hear the noise, but no issues at all associated with it. I think its bad engineering - but hopefully more annoyance then problematic.

DJR

Last edited by DJR; 10-02-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

so have any of u noticed if your stoped and then turn the ac on the noise gets alot worse?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

I won't bore y'all with all of the details, but after all of this time, our JK has been lemoned. Neither the dealership nor "Chrysler Technicians" could figure out the problem causing this noise.

The process began several weeks ago when we decided that we wanted to replace the Jeep instead of having it bought back. Sounds easy enough, right? Wrong. It may have been if the dealership we purchased it from (Carl Gregory) participated in the trade assistance program for lemons, but they do not. Believe it or not, a dealership has the option not to participate. Basically, they decided not to take care of their customer. Granted, they didn't build the vehicle, and were unaware of the problem when they sold it, but they should take care of their customers. Instead, it took a few weeks for another dealership to be located that would assist with the replacement. Thank you Mike Patton in LaGrange, GA. Our new JK has been ordered.

My advice to everyone when purchasing a vehicle, ask if they will participate in replacing it should it become a lemon. I know lemons are rare, but if I had know Carl Gregory wouldn't assist us in this matter, I wouldn't have bought from them. Consequently, I never will again. I will take my business to a dealer like Mike Patton, who will not only take care of their customers, but someone else's, also.

Quick Reply: What is this noise?