Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Whining engine noise. Hmmmmm?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whining engine noise. Hmmmmm?

When I start my Jeep I have a mild to moderate whining noise coming from the engine compartment. Big O told me that it was the power steering box and that I should check the fluid level.

The fluid level is fine. Truth be told, I cannot recall if the noise had just started, or had always been that way. It is not so loud that it caught my attention.

I recently lifted the Jeep and regeared.

Nothing seems to make the whine louder. Steering does not increase or decrease the noise. No does motion. Sitting still or driving, same noise.

I know this is tough since you cannot hear my noise, but if anyone else has had a whine from the engine compartment, perhaps they could share.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-03-2012, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a whinning noise. Was only above 2400 rpm, couldn't figure out where it was coming from. After about 2 weeks the alternator froze up and burnt up the serpentine belt and left my wife stuck on the side of the highway.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Ohh, I did soak my altenators serval times with muddy water on my last trip. It was great

I hope that is not the problem. My whine is constant at any RPM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what we did also, two days drivin thru muddy sandy water, that's the prob. With serpentine belt, u can't pull it off just the alternator or ac compressor or steering pump to see what's makin the noise.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Now that I have an idea what to look at, I will poke my nose around and see if I can find a problem. I will wash the compartment as well and see if that quiets down the noise.

I don't drive my Jeep much, except to hit high country.

-John
Old 05-03-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good luck! My mechanic said to give it a good soaking of wd40, the whole can, before going wheeling. He races mudders and said that's what they do.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Give what a good soaking, the belt or the alternator?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

All the pullies, to keep the dirt out of the bearings.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Freak

I hosed down my engine and it is not quite as loud as it was before. I am guessing the dirt was the problem.

-John
Old 05-16-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I actually have an engine whine in my 2012. I picked it up April 21st and had an engine whine right off the lot. I actually stopped in a parking lot a mile out of the dealership and kept wondering if I should bring it right back to get it checked out. I thought maybe its just part of the break in. Its definitely from the engine compartment and proportional to the RPM's at any RPM. I'm at just under 600mi now, but it has been constant the whole time. I just need to find some time when the service dept. is open to bring it down unless someone has any ideas what it could be or if its a break in whine.

Quick Reply: Whining engine noise. Hmmmmm?