Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue

Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue

There is a lot of noise about oil consumption. Who has successfully fixed this issue. I also have the tricking noise which may be the spun bearing issue. Who has successfully resolved this.

We have many annoyed people with this please let us know:
1. Any ways you resolved or helped these issues (PVC valve, 30 wt oil...)
2. Steps to document issues with Chrysler (Could help with a recall)
3. What made the dealer act and replace the engine or perform a big service to fix these issues

I want this to be the thread thread that is the beginning and end of this issue. I have the same issues and want them dealt with. We have enough people and knowledge on this site to figure this thing out.

Thanks
STEP

Last edited by Stepsride; 12-06-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Good thread. Interested in this as well
Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My solution is carry oil with you, the bottem end bearings definitely don't sound good and it uses about a L of oil between changes and I change it every 4000 km, still using mopar filter and 5w20
Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Good thread. Interested in this as well
You and I have the same problem with the 3.8 and you helped spur this thread.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stepsride

You and I have the same problem with the 3.8 and you helped spur this thread.
Yeah I'm currently doing a consumption test so basically I'm just driving around and waiting. I am still running the 5w20 and may switch to the 5w30 soon and see if that helps
Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default oil!!

Switching to 5-30w helped with valve train tapping noise
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

My solution was to replace the engine. Chrysler couldn't have cared less. I thought their email response back was hilarious. They told me they have made great strides in customer service and quality but good luck with your proplems. My advice is make sure something happens (fixed) before the warranty is up. Once the warranty is gone so are they.

It cost me about 2k to do my own engine swap. If trade in on a 12 would have been within a 5k spread I would have done that.

I am happy with my decision. I feel like I have a jeep with a second life.

I will not waste money on full synthetic again. Still thinking about a semi-synthetic blend. I am also leaning towards 5w-30 this time.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by duneslider
My solution was to replace the engine. Chrysler couldn't have cared less. I thought their email response back was hilarious. They told me they have made great strides in customer service and quality but good luck with your proplems. My advice is make sure something happens (fixed) before the warranty is up. Once the warranty is gone so are they.

It cost me about 2k to do my own engine swap. If trade in on a 12 would have been within a 5k spread I would have done that.

I am happy with my decision. I feel like I have a jeep with a second life.

I will not waste money on full synthetic again. Still thinking about a semi-synthetic blend. I am also leaning towards 5w-30 this time.
Yeah I remember reading about you replacing your engine. How many miles were on yours and what were your initial symptoms? Engine failure is my fear as well
Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lets keep this thread solution based and stay away from the stories. Do not mean to be flippant however we want a thread we can build that has things we can try to get rid of our problem. However if a story adds an idea for a solution let it rip!

STEP
Old 12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

After a long drawn out process...they finally replaced my engine

Quick Reply: Who has had a successful resolution to the oil burning issue or ticking issue