Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Will an alloy ride nicer than a heavier steel wheel?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will an alloy ride nicer than a heavier steel wheel?

If you have two wheels that are the same size, one alloy and one heavy steel, will the alloy ride/handle better and smoother?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is true or if it's what your asking but, in my opinon, the wheel material donsen't really matter.
I had 18's before and the jk seemed to handle better than the 15's I currently have (more sidewall). I could feel the bumps and pot holes better with the 18's (less sidewall).
So..
less sidewall= Handles great. Feel more bumps.
more sidewall= Less handling. Feel less bumps.

I would also think the heavier the wheel the harder it is to start them rolling but, will continue to roll easier once you got up to speed. As the lighter wheel would not want to keep rolling at speed.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Less unspring weight = better ride and handling, yes. But this assumes the aluminum wheel is lighter than the steel. The wheel material shouldn't make any real difference. It all comes down to weight. For Jeeps, tire weight is also a big issue. Even some 35s weigh a ton.

Quick Reply: Will an alloy ride nicer than a heavier steel wheel?