JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   Will this work? Ignition key question (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/will-work-ignition-key-question-334738/)

Soilsample 06-19-2016 06:26 AM

Will this work? Ignition key question

Hello all,
i bought my 07 jk used with only 1 key.
Can I buy a couple of non-chip keys and copy my original, then hide the original key under the steering wheel housing?

I understand that it would eliminate theft deterrent.

But would it work?

thanks!

evoviii2jk 06-19-2016 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Soilsample (Post 4225688)
Hello all,
i bought my 07 jk used with only 1 key.
Can I buy a couple of non-chip keys and copy my original, then hide the original key under the steering wheel housing?

I understand that it would eliminate theft deterrent.

But would it work?

thanks!

I do believe this will work. I know on my evo this is what they wanted to do for remote start

Wrangled 06-19-2016 06:56 AM

Sure, the non chipped key will get you into the Jeep, but it will not start it. So having a chipped one inside will work.

Soilsample 06-19-2016 07:29 AM

Thanks for the input gents!

16FW 06-19-2016 10:00 AM

I don't know about an '07, but on my '15, if I unlock the doors with a non-chip key, the alarm goes off, until I push the open button on the key with a chip. Annoying, but at least it gets you in to get the right key.

Grant09 06-21-2016 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by 16FW (Post 4225722)
I don't know about an '07, but on my '15, if I unlock the doors with a non-chip key, the alarm goes off, until I push the open button on the key with a chip. Annoying, but at least it gets you in to get the right key.

This will be the same on the '07. It'll set off the alarm every time.

MavisJk 06-21-2016 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 16FW (Post 4225722)

If you use the key fob to lock the doors you have to use it to unlock them or the alarm will go off. If you lock the door with the key manually from the outside you should be able to manually unlock it without the alarm going off. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how its worked on the two cars i had before my Jeep.

Jarrett Vardaman 02-15-2021 04:51 AM

Lost Key

I apologize I’m a few years late to the game, but the time has finally came. I only received 1 key from the dealer with my JK. I finally managed to lose it, presuming in a driveway covered in snow. I just learned the wonders of JScan few months ago, and have been wanting to make a new key... but of course haven’t yet. How should I go about getting a replacement key/programming..? I can have a locksmith make a new key for me, will that allow me to turn the ignition on to be able to see the pin and program the key? Or does the key I’m using have to be pre programmed before hand i.e. the one I lost.. I’m open to any suggestions. Thanks!

karls10jk 02-15-2021 05:14 AM

Just from my experience with the Jscan app and looking at that piece of info, I'd think if you can get the ignition turned on then the program would be able to retrieve the pin from the computer. I had my local home depot cut my key- it was free. Even if it wasn't , I'd happily pay their $3/key to have it cut. There's nothing special with the cut so it wasn't an issue for them.

wascallywabbit7 02-15-2021 10:33 AM

My 08 came with only one key, I did the key hide under the shroud with black non-chipped keys until i realized i could program my own keys with Jscan.