Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield defroster is a safety hazard

Old 12-23-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I just had a crappy windshield wiper blade that couldn't clear the stuff on the lower corner right in front of my line of sight.

I realized that the defrosters just suck when I was driving in 3° weather the other night and ice was forming on the inside of the side windows... I had to switch to just the dash vents and aim them at the side windows to clear that up.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I have to agree with O.P. Try driving in a blizzard with slush from other drivers spraying the windshield! The wipers seem to do a half ass job and all that slush and windshield washer from clearing the windshield seem to build up in the edges about 3-4" and coat the wiper blades. The only way to get rid of it is to bang the blades and chip the edges with a scraper. It is not a problem with the blower motor because it blows hot and hard. The problem is they only give a slot about 2' in the centre of the windshield for defrost and leave at least 1' on each side that does not get any air. Try driving for any length of time in a snow storm and you KWIM. What they should have done is made the defrost slit the whole length of the windshield or put a heating coil around the edges of the 'shield that comes on when defrost is selected. They also should have trailrated the jeep in a snowstorm as well and not just in the Moab.
I also have an issue with the back side windows (rear doors and hard top) frosting up when the kids are in the Jeep.

Besides that (and some small issues) I LOVE the JEEP!!!

Chop.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smiley88

In fact, I have a problem with mine where it moves on its own from defrost to defrost/lower vents....dealer doesn't seem to think it is an issue!
Ditto that
Old 12-23-2008, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

the ice build up in the corners during snow storms and the auto defrost to vent action are a PITA ... still way better than any other Jeep I have had the pleasure of owning... someone needs to build a custom defrost louvre type thingy... s simple redirect of the mega hot air would prolly solve it...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problems with my defroster... I let the Jeep warm up until the windshield clears using the wipers and the defrost. If I drive before the entire windshield is clear, it won't clear no matter the fan setting. But if I pull over for about 2 minutes after the engine is fully warmed up, the entire windshield will clear, and stays clear once I start driving again. . . except in freezing rain.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 12-23-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Smiley88
I don't doubt that it stops short and that it does not work well for you --- but all vehicles stop short and don't have the duct all the way to the outside edge of the windshield. Mine does clear the entire windshield and I had thought maybe the problem was with the unlimited not blowing adequate air from the defrost setting. I have seen (on other vehicles) where the controls to direct the airflow do not always work correctly and therefore there is not the correct flow.

In fact, I have a problem with mine where it moves on its own from defrost to defrost/lower vents....dealer doesn't seem to think it is an issue!
Originally Posted by Kachad
Ditto that

I saw on another thread that if you turn the knob all the way in the opposite direction and then back to defrost, it won't back off that half notch that it's backing off for you. Try that and see if it works.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Chopur
Yes I have to agree with O.P. Try driving in a blizzard with slush from other drivers spraying the windshield! The wipers seem to do a half ass job and all that slush and windshield washer from clearing the windshield seem to build up in the edges about 3-4" and coat the wiper blades. The only way to get rid of it is to bang the blades and chip the edges with a scraper. It is not a problem with the blower motor because it blows hot and hard. The problem is they only give a slot about 2' in the centre of the windshield for defrost and leave at least 1' on each side that does not get any air. Try driving for any length of time in a snow storm and you KWIM. What they should have done is made the defrost slit the whole length of the windshield or put a heating coil around the edges of the 'shield that comes on when defrost is selected. They also should have trailrated the jeep in a snowstorm as well and not just in the Moab.
I also have an issue with the back side windows (rear doors and hard top) frosting up when the kids are in the Jeep.

Besides that (and some small issues) I LOVE the JEEP!!!

Chop.

Absolutely agree Chopur - wonder if any of the creative engineering types in here could create a diffuser fin or something to help solve this one. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS JEEP but have to admit - the wife is right on this one - the defroster air flow targeting sucks.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One could have a hell of an arguement that the Jeep was built as a fair weather ride, that's for sure.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I havent had any prob with mine the heat drys my eyes out
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Super Freak

For just "clearing" the windshield of frost and even ice that is no longer coming down (which I think a few of the people who are noting that theirs works just fine for are more thinking of), it is good enough.

As others have noted...driving in slush/ice coming down, and getting spray from other vehicles back onto the vehicle in colder temps...that is where the problem lies.

The airflow is not enough to keep the outer edges of the windshield warm enough to keep the ice from forming...and will even progress into the wiper area such that then the wipers start having problems as part of their wipe is over ice that it can't push away because it is solid out to the edges of the windshield.

This is my first Jeep, so I can't compare it to earlier models, but it is certainly the "worst" vehicle I have ever driven in Iowa winters for this type of thing happening.

I have simply chalked it up to it being a "Jeep thing" for the most part, and have pulled over at a convenient spot to re-scrape the windshield...but it certainly lacks the ability to keep the windshield "clear" under instances like no other vehicle I have ever owned.

As others have noted...something that could help re-direct more airflow to the sides would probably be all that is needed....it seems to simply be a case of the defroster not getting enough air directed to the sides....not a lack of blower power, just the direction flow of air itself.

Quick Reply: Windshield defroster is a safety hazard