JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/)
-   -   windshield seems speckled, bad glare into the sun (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/windshield-seems-speckled-bad-glare-into-sun-145957/)

storch 10-01-2010 05:57 PM

windshield seems speckled, bad glare into the sun

only 30000 mi paint is near perfect but the windshild apears to be sand blasted?

Is there anything that can fill the specks to reduce the imperfections, maybe fhe flatness of the glass causes this more so than other vehicles

Bad_CRC 10-01-2010 06:10 PM

new windshield.

no other way actually works.

ssg381 10-01-2010 06:17 PM

Try taking it back to the dealer... its worth a shot.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BigJeschke 10-02-2010 07:05 AM

A trick I learned detailing cars years ago is to take some very fine steel wool and your favorite glass cleaner and wipe in vertical motion only. The steel wool is great for taking off bugs and will sometimes smooth minor imperfections in the glass. Just did this to the JK and my 2001 XJ. The XJ was horrible, glare like a mutha. It's better now. Good Luck

jeeperjkjeeper 10-02-2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by storch (Post 1873555)
only 30000 mi paint is near perfect but the windshild apears to be sand blasted?

Is there anything that can fill the specks to reduce the imperfections, maybe fhe flatness of the glass causes this more so than other vehicles

just yesterday my wife commented on that exact observation. we were driving towards the sunset and she commented on how pitted the windshield glass looked.

i am going to apply a coat of rain-x and see if it helps.

donnie 10-02-2010 09:32 AM

FWIW, I use the fine steel wool on mine every so often.
More to remove the really fine stuff that regular cleaning doesnt get.
So far, it has worked fine. Also do it before using Rain X on the window.
I use a mesh covered sponge then the steel wool to clean the windshield.
Hope this helps out.

storch 10-03-2010 09:39 AM

the paint must be more durable than the glass, with only 30000 mi mine looks awfull

VaNomad0530 10-03-2010 02:25 PM

Well I don't know if it's the same thing, but if you have very small bubbles in your windshield, it's because you are using a glass cleaner with ammonia in it. So make sure you don't use windex with ammonia, or the like, because the ammonia will bubble the laminate in the windshield.

fadeout 10-03-2010 02:44 PM

Damn I might have to try this, mine looks horrible and I only have 14K on it. :sad2:

Tweakecho 10-03-2010 03:01 PM

7 Windshields

You guys are doing better than me, i have 36k miles (07) and I've been through like 7 winshields. So i guess i don't ever really have to worry about that then lol. Luckily insurance covers it!