Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wrangler 2008 transmission radiator

Old 07-08-2019, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler 2008 transmission radiator

Hello
What´s the good brand of automatic transmission radiator?
thanks
Old 07-08-2019, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepspecial
Hello
What´s the good brand of automatic transmission radiator?
thanks
Just a suggestion, install a separate transmission cooler..After purchasing mine I found that the transmission fluid was cooled by the factory designed AC condenser and the auto trans fluid runs through it...I personally think that is insane, the condenser for the ac is already hot from trying to cool the Freon from a gas state to a fluid state, why would the route hot trans fluid also??Crazy in my humble opinion..I ran a separate cooler to help both the trans fluid cool more efficient and take a load off the ac condenser..Hope that this suggestion is helpful..Additional thought, most auto trans fluid is cooled in the radiator..I have found that my 3.8 auto is not on a wrangler
Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I put the mopar one on mine just so I didn't have to fabricate anything myself and to keep my warranty in place. Kinda plug and play install but slightly on the expensive side. My is an 08 also. You need to have a trans cooler for sure that's why they added it as standard in the later years.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

In their infinite wisdom, as they did (unsuccessfully) on the old LJ/TJ, on the first gen JK automatics Chrysler put the transmission cooler at the bottom of the A/C condenser. Insufficient airflow combined with marginal capacity. Adding an auxiliary trans cooler is almost a must on these JK automatics. Any good parts store cooler kit will do the job, but the Mopar "towing accessory" cooler mounts like factory and is probably best all around long term. Jeep suggests an operating temp of 180 degrees for the 43RLE trans in the early JKs. With the Mopar cooler mine rarely exceeds 170.

Quick Reply: Wrangler 2008 transmission radiator