Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wrangler Unlimited 2009 Auto in Limp mode - Please Help

Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler Unlimited 2009 Auto in Limp mode - Please Help

Hi all,

Urgent expert advise and suggestions required for my Wangler Unlimited 2009 Automatic Transmission that's stuck in limp mode and during diagnostics error code P0883 appears saying TCM voltage high.

After going through related posts and online suggestions; managed to replace valve body solenoid but unfortunately that didn't help a all and the transmission remains as it is with no shifting of gears and check engine light is turned on as well.

Last edited by bilalz; 07-17-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bilalz
Hi all,

Urgent expert advise and suggestions required for my Wangler Unlimited 2009 Automatic Transmission that's stuck in limp mode and during diagnostics error code P0883 appears saying TCM voltage high.

After going through related posts and online suggestions; managed to replace valve body solenoid but unfortunately that didn't help a all and the transmission remains as it is with no shifting of gears and check engine light is turned on as well.
I can't help other than to ask, Are you the first owner? If so, may be covered under lifetime powertrain warranty.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Thankyou,

This vehicle was imported into Pakistan and unfortunately we don't have any presence of Chrysler workshops here.

Tese online posts and forums hleped me get through lots.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

Hi all,

After replacing the Solenoid I managed to replace transmission sensors as well (input and output sensors) but the problem persists and it stuck in 2nd only and not shifting

Please suggest other possible reasons and things to be checked.

Also please guide me where to locate my TCM? Is it inbuilt the ECU or its a separate unit? Can someone give me the part no. for the TCM please
Old 07-27-2013, 11:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

This may sound stupid, but have your battery checked.. I've seen odd ball codes tossed and being stuck in limp mode due to a bad battery.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Stole this from another thread..

From the service manual:

P0883 - TCM Power Input High

Theory of Operation

The Transmission Control Output circuit is used to supply power to the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly, Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the LP VFS Solenoid when in normal operating mode. The purpose of the Transmission Output circuit is to allow the Transmission Control System to turn off the power to the Transmission Solenoid/pressure Switch Assembly in the event that the transmission should need to be placed into limp-in mode due to a DTC.
After a PCM reset, (ignition switch turned to the run position, or after cranking the engine) the Transmission Control System verifies that the Transmission Output circuit is open by checking for voltage on the Transmission Output circuits before the Transmission Control System request for the circuit to be powered up. The request is sent by a direct circuit control from the PCM to the TIPM. If voltage is detected on the Transmission Output circuits before the request is sent, the DTC will set.

•When Monitored: When the ignition is turned from "OFF" position to "RUN" position and/or the ignition is turned from "START" position to "RUN" position.
•Set Condition: This DTC is set if the Powertrain Control Module senses greater than 3.0 volts on the Transmission Control Relay Output circuits prior to a request from the PCM to TIPM to energize the Transmission Output circuits.

Possible Causes
TIPM DTCS PRESENT
(T15) TRANSMISSION CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
(T16) TRANSMISSION CONTROL OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT VOLTAGE
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/PRESSURE SWITCH ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Last edited by TokenMSJ; 07-27-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default check the fuse

On my 2012 Automatic if I take out the fuse block J6 and/or J7 it will not shift out of first or second. I don't know if those are the same on the 09. So if something caused one of those to blow, it might cause this to happen.

Something to investigate.

Quick Reply: Wrangler Unlimited 2009 Auto in Limp mode - Please Help