Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wrangler Unlimited Towing Capacity

Old 06-10-2014, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holy_crap
Is this the 2dr or 4dr, I see your profile pic shows a 2dr.
Its for booth! But you can order the 4dr with the shorter gears, which leads to 2000kg - 2500kg, depending on model and engine (4400-5500lbs).

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2014, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CerOf
I have and did just fine. Lost trailer brakes headed east on HWY 50 down to the the Blue Mesa Resevoir. Use your gears, don't be stupid. My JK pulls much better than my old WJ and far better than my ZJ ever did. (Not factoring in the lack of power)
Trailer brakes are your friend.

C load tires are just fine for pulling a 5,000lbs trailer. Shoot, a grand Cherokee with 6,500lbs rating has at best, C rated tires.

10% of my annual mileage is towing a trailer. I have 110,000 miles. Most of it is driving between Dallas and the ouray area where we have a house. I've pulled a heavy E3 popup camper with front toy hauler deck loaded to a loaded 8x10 with a lot of junk including a kawasaki mule. The mule is 1500#dry and we top off its fuel tanks and have another 35 gallons filled up in Gunnison.

Please know that when I speak of towing anything of significance, I strongly encourage your jeep/SUV/sedan/whatever, is properly set up.

Most states have a law requiring brakes on a trailer over 3,000lbs. Some, like NY, require them around 1k~1,5k.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Just to clarify, when I say stab the brakes in my above post, (and this is with a proper tounge weight, trailer brakes, all the normal sane person trailering doodads) By stab, I mean stop like if you don't your X-girlfriend of 5yrs ago will be at you door with the baby you fathered that night in Pittsburg if you don't come to an immediate stop. Or children appear out of thin air playing hopscotch on I-10 100ft in front of you. Not O look the traffic light is yellow, we should begin braking so we stop when it is red.

In my experience the Jeep just doesn't perform. It not jeep thing as much as a market segment, explorers, 4Runners, etc would all likely perform the same.

Every person will have a different comfort zone on this topic, but if nothing else get on a safe road with no one around and do some experiments with your setup and trailered load.

Happy towing

Quick Reply: Wrangler Unlimited Towing Capacity