Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wrong gear ratio on new jku

Old 04-19-2017, 04:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong gear ratio on new jku

Haven't posted in a while, but this was kind of shocking. I finally pulled the trigger on a gear swap (4:56) for my 2011 JKU Sport after installing a Teraflex 3.5" suspension lift and BFG 35" mud terrains in December 2014. Bought it new with 3:73's from the factory, according to the window sticker and the dealer confirmation. Well I got a call from 4 Wheel Parts yesterday to inform me that I had 3:21's and the front carrier would have to be replaced in order to install the new gear set. I was just wondering if anyone here has had this happen, and if there's any recourse with Jeep, as I feel like I kind of got screwed a little...in addition to the normal screwing you always get when you buy a new vehicle.🙄 The shop is using the guts from a new take-off diff for the install at no cost to me, so that's pretty cool. The guy I talked to said it was not the 1st time he's seen this happen by far. That's pretty messed up though. I guess that explains a few things (poor gas mileage, lack of power, etc). The new gears should be like night and day. I really need to post some pics, I've done quite a bit of work to her since my last post; Bushwackers, XRC bumpers, X20 winch, Grabars, etc. She looks pretty good!
Old 04-19-2017, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your jeep will feel like a rocket ship going from 3.21 to 4.56 gears . Make sure if you have an auto that you program the New tires in so your shift points are updated and your speedometer is accurate.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Man, I would hope there is some sort of recourse as you paid ~500 for that upgrade when you bought it. That said.....after so many years, not sure how you prove that the gears/axle are the same ones you rolled off the lot with. I think it's at least worth trying to argue your case. It can't hurt.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First...4.56 are not a good gear set for a 2011 with 35's. I had 4.88 and 35's and it was still a dog. 5.13 would be ideal.
As far as the wrong gears in your jeep I would want to see the one that came out of it and count the teeth myself.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
First...4.56 are not a good gear set for a 2011 with 35's. I had 4.88 and 35's and it was still a dog. 5.13 would be ideal. As far as the wrong gears in your jeep I would want to see the one that came out of it and count the teeth myself.
Are you suggesting a road trip or that the OP pay to ship to you for verification? The shop isn't charging for the carriers having taken them from another axle group so what benefit is there to lying about the OEM ratio?
Old 04-19-2017, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

The OP obviously has some issue with misinformation from either the manufacture or the shop, all I saying is verify if yourself then take it up with the appropriate party.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I assumed the OP verified the shops statement, my bad for misunderstanding and good call.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

It just doesn't seem right....Dealer says 3.73, window sticker say 3.73, shop say 3.21. I would think this would have been a problem from day one since the ECU needed to be programmed with the right gear ratio.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, thanks for the replies. I don't really expect to be able to do anything about it at this point, but I would like to find out what happened. 4wp is giving me back the original gears and carriers, so I'll have those if I need to prove something at some point. It just sucks because I never would've bought it with 3:21's. I don't know if the factory just botched the sticker or what, but I know I paid for the 3:73 upgrade. I didn't drive it much until after I started the upgrades because it was my wife's DD, but it's always felt underpowered. As far as the new gears, it's my DD now, so I can't really go down to 5:13's. I wanted 4:88's, but I was worried they would be too low as well for highway use. 4:56 seemed like a good compromise. I don't really do much off-roading, usually at the beach once a year and maybe some snow in the winter. The right of way to my property gets pretty rough sometimes too. I might do more now, though. Anyway, I'll be picking it up today, and I can't wait to see the difference!
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I think in 2011 it was like a $95 upgrade to go with 3.73's so probably not worth the heartburn of trying to get your money back after 6 years.

Quick Reply: Wrong gear ratio on new jku