Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2017 Sahara Unlimited

Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Sahara Unlimited

New to forum, thanks for the add.

I have a 2017 Sahara Unlimited, totally stock with just under 30K miles that I bought in Dec 2018. Sunday I experience the death wobble at around 65 mph. Slowed to 50 mph and got it home. Took it to a highly rated 4 wheel drive/Jeep shop. They called me and told me all front suspension was tight and could not find cause for wobble. They suggested it is a tire problem. New to Jeeps, does this sound like a reasonable cause. Tire are 50%, balanced and have been rotated
Old 06-19-2019, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

A real DW will force you to come to about a complete stop. If you were able to to just slow down to 50mph and get it corrected, it doesn't sounds like real all out DW. I have seen tires cause this issue, and have in fact seen it on a buddy's jeep. A bit more surprising to hear on a stock jeep with stock tires.
You can go through the whole steering system and inspect things, but here are a couple things to pay attention to in regards to trouble shooting a bit. If you're driving along (at any speed) and you intentionally hit a pot hole or big bump, how does the jeep react? Does the steering wheel yank, or does the jeep absorb the impact and feels solid? Does the wobble only happen in a certain range of speed, like 55-65mph?

If you're getting poor reactions when hitting bumps and potholes at any speed, it's most likely a loose bolt or bad joint in the steering system. If this is only during a range of speed, it's often tire related.

Welcome btw. Seems like lots of newer members from the Houston area lately.

Oh, and we're in the wrong subforum. @Rednroll , would you mind moving this to stock JK tech so this member can get some more eyes on the thread?
Old 06-19-2019, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front end checked out, everything tight. Rotated tires front to back, back to front. Drove home with no sign of a wobble. So I guess i"m tire shopping.

Quick Reply: 2017 Sahara Unlimited