Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Second OEM clutch slipping.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Second OEM clutch slipping.

Had my 2010 Sport since new. Clutch assembly and flywheel went at 26000k. Second clutch is now slipping at 53000k. Don,t want Jeep to put in a third OEM. Thinking aftermarket street clutch assembly with more lb/ft. I never off road, the winters are enough fun out here in the sticks. Never had any clutch failures in the past 44 years of piloting, accept my Jeep. Any thoughts out there? Many thanks. And, I am not swapping for an auto.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I went with a Spec stage 1 and it does not slip near what the factory did. It's got so little slip that you are either in or out of reverse, there's not much feathering to it. For what you're experiencing, you may be better with the stage 2 or 2+ to ensure no slipping.
The following users liked this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 11:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Going to try an ACT JP2-HDSS. Have my World Atlas out. Hampton VA? We had a 100 year flood here a few years ago in Muskoka Ontario CA. The ducks were crossing, when I was forging home with my JK Sport. I forgot to put the drain plugs back in. Nothing like that storm that is going to hit your east flank. God Speed.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tango romeo papa circa 67
Had my 2010 Sport since new. Clutch assembly and flywheel went at 26000k. Second clutch is now slipping at 53000k. Don,t want Jeep to put in a third OEM. Thinking aftermarket street clutch assembly with more lb/ft. I never off road, the winters are enough fun out here in the sticks. Never had any clutch failures in the past 44 years of piloting, accept my Jeep. Any thoughts out there? Many thanks. And, I am not swapping for an auto.
My recent clutch replacement is detailed here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5/#post4321526

Even though there's only a few thousand on mine, I'd still recommend the Sachs, which manufactured at least some of the OEM for the JK. There's failure reviews with all brands of clutches, some more than others -- It's a tough choice. Some failures are probably installation induced, some are manufacturing/design. You can see from the pics in the above thread that they improved the design over the original, and that gave me some confidence. On the other hand, note the part about the release bearing in that thread, so I used a National TOB and Rockauto refunded the amount I spent to replace the one that came with the new clutch.

Quick Reply: Second OEM clutch slipping.