Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JL parts show up at scrap yard!!!

Old 10-16-2016, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default JL parts show up at scrap yard!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yah...ndroid-verizon
Old 10-19-2016, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not a JL part. Should it have been sold to a consumer? Nope. There are always projects like that going on. Think about SEMA and Moab. That hood was for a JK concept. JL parts are a long way from the scrap yard.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Am I the only one that feels like something is wrong with this story? In the pic with the hood on the Jeep the fenders look like they are too big for the Jeep as they extend to far to the doors and partial cover up the Wrangler Unlimited decals. In the other pic the hoods are leaning on each other and therefore not parallel so of course one would appear to be longer than the other. And didn't I read somewhere (maybe I dreamed it) that the JL would not have a folding windshield? If that is true why would a hood that is supposed to be from a JL have the rubber windshield rests and tie down on it. I would think the hood would only have windshield washers on it. And then again I may be wrong, just my observation from a not very informative story.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2014Wrangler
Am I the only one that feels like something is wrong with this story? In the pic with the hood on the Jeep the fenders look like they are too big for the Jeep as they extend to far to the doors and partial cover up the Wrangler Unlimited decals. In the other pic the hoods are leaning on each other and therefore not parallel so of course one would appear to be longer than the other. And didn't I read somewhere (maybe I dreamed it) that the JL would not have a folding windshield? If that is true why would a hood that is supposed to be from a JL have the rubber windshield rests and tie down on it. I would think the hood would only have windshield washers on it. And then again I may be wrong, just my observation from a not very informative story.
Those are actually mopar high top fender flares. Not a factory option but aftermarket through mopar. Also, people think it could be a hood from a mule, not necessarily a production JL, hence the maintained windshield rests from the JK.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it actually was from a JL, wouldn't it be a lot lighter? Would they be making the aluminum hoods for test vehicles at this point?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If it's just a mule then I wouldn't imagine they'd waste the aluminum if it's going to be scrap anyways. It looks pre-production, not necessarily 'actual' parts....i would imagine that's why it lacked a part number (as mentioned where the story and pictures eventually linked back to). The guy who actually bought the hood (allegedly) has posted on the JL forum- he may be a better source of "what shape was the hood, were they parallel, etc. In the thread they did discuss that the rubber nubbers may be there to appease the purists. Original jeeps had a clear stamping in the side but through the years, the stamping got sloppy. On the TJ they've still got the sloppy stamping (now called a 'feature') and they put a sticker over it so that people can read JEEP.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Those are actually mopar high top fender flares. Not a factory option but aftermarket through mopar. Also, people think it could be a hood from a mule, not necessarily a production JL, hence the maintained windshield rests from the JK.

Thanks for the info. Had not seen the high top fenders before.

Quick Reply: JL parts show up at scrap yard!!!