Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JL Toad (Towing behind Motorhome)

Old 08-27-2018, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default JL Toad (Towing behind Motorhome)

So I just picked up a New JL. I have a 2011 JK that I have towed for years. On the JK, I had to remove a fuse and leave the key in the on position so the steering wouldn't lock. My new JL has push button start (not the proximity key) The manual does not say how to set it up to tow except for putting the TC in "N" and the tranny in Park. Yesterday I tried moving the wheel with it off and I could move it a bit but never took the key away from the jeep and tried turning it all the way, ie: what would need to happen when towing..... Any had experience with this....
Ps I put up pic's of the new rig here Look What followed Me Home
Old 08-27-2018, 09:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Boy, that green looks nice! I have a '13 JK, and they must have had a change along the way because I have never had to remove a fuse and have no issues with the steering column locking. Simply put TC in N, and put the gear selector back in P, then lock it up and roll on down the road with key in my pocket. Does the JL steering column lock?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Boy, that green looks nice! I have a '13 JK, and they must have had a change along the way because I have never had to remove a fuse and have no issues with the steering column locking. Simply put TC in N, and put the gear selector back in P, then lock it up and roll on down the road with key in my pocket. Does the JL steering column lock?
Holy smokes, I had a 13 too. I never toad it but the streaming locked. So in the steering column there are plastic gears that lock the steering. I would say you broke those by not unlocking the column. Try turning the wheels without turning on the key... If you can turn them, then the lock is broken. I don't think its a big deal it just mean that someone can roll it away ie: around the corner so they can then steal it... Most thiefs think all columns lock. Kind of old school theft protection

I would be really surprised if the JL column doesn't lock.... I will check when I get home tonight

PS.. Thanks for the compliment.. I like it more every time I see it.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

IDK, it's not something that broke on mine (automatic), it simply doesn't have a column lock, and you will find most reporting the same on newer JKs. Was yours a manual maybe?
Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Nope not a Manual. But the one I towed was a 2011 JK, so it had the new interior but the old motor etc. So maybe they changed something... I did have a 13JKU for a short time and I am pretty sure it locked but not positive... I'm about to leave work early just to go home and check because it's driving me a bit crazy...
Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'd just throw floor jack under the front axle, lift the wheels an inch, and see if you can cycle the wheel or if it locks. I'll put my $5 on it being unlocked with no towing issues. Pretty interesting though if there was a lock, how they deal with that for push button vehicles. Never thought about that before.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

WOW... this absolutely blows me away... NO LOCKING steering column

Last edited by broccoli2; 08-27-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Question what interlocking braking system are you using between the MH and the JL
Old 08-28-2018, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by caryt
Question what interlocking braking system are you using between the MH and the JL
I know you're asking the OP, but I've used Blue Ox Patriot Brake for years myself. Been a good unit, although pricey like all their junk.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by broccoli2
WOW... this absolutely blows me away... NO LOCKING steering column
why does this surprise you? there hasn't been a steering wheel lock since at least 2009 (eliminated either mid 2008 or mid 2009).

they did this to enable easier flat/recreational towing (without disconnecting the battery/ignition fuse or the need to leave a key in the ignition when flat towing).

Last edited by bushpilot; 09-09-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: JL Toad (Towing behind Motorhome)