Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

JL Toad (Towing behind Motorhome)

Old 09-09-2018, 02:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by broccoli2
So I just picked up a New JL. I have a 2011 JK that I have towed for years. On the JK, I had to remove a fuse and leave the key in the on position so the steering wouldn't lock. My new JL has push button start (not the proximity key) The manual does not say how to set it up to tow except for putting the TC in "N" and the tranny in Park. Yesterday I tried moving the wheel with it off and I could move it a bit but never took the key away from the jeep and tried turning it all the way, ie: what would need to happen when towing..... Any had experience with this....
Ps I put up pic's of the new rig here Look What followed Me Home
you are mistaken - there hasn't been a steering column lock since 2009, it was removed in mid 2008 or 2009 - for EXACTLY this reason (flat towing w/out a key or battery disconnect).

I flat tow our 2012 JK, without a key in the ignition and without pulling any fuse or disconnect the battery....in FACT I use the power-outlet in the console to power my brake-buddy.

there is NO steering wheel lock on the 2018 (either)....just follow the instructions in the owners manual, TC in natural, hand brake off, auto trans in park (manual trans in gear).
you WILL need some lighting for the tail lights (brake/park & turn)....

On JL's the easiest and most seem-less way to enable lighting for recreational (aka flat) towing was to use Mopar Harnes - P/N 82211156AB I used this harness myself on my JL.

I dont see that there is a similar solution (YET?) for the JL - but Mopar/Jeep knows this is a huge market for them - my bet is it might be too early for availability OR they same harness may actually work and the documentation hasn't been updated to reflect this.

Alternatively there are lots of 3rd party solutions that leverage existing (factory) tail-lights.

Last edited by bushpilot; 09-09-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by bushpilot
you are mistaken - there hasn't been a steering column lock since 2009, it was removed in mid 2008 or 2009 - for EXACTLY this reason (flat towing w/out a key or battery disconnect).
Disagree. Even my 2013 owners manual says "if equipped" when talking about steering column lock, which implies there were some vehicles that DID come with it.....as the OP believes his previous JK had. Can't snapshot it, but here is the text copied/pasted:

STEERING WHEEL LOCK — IF EQUIPPED Your vehicle may be equipped with a passive steering wheel lock. This lock prevents steering the vehicle without the ignition key. If the steering wheel is moved approximately a half turn in either direction, and the key is not in the ignition, the steering wheel will lock. To Manually Lock The Steering Wheel With the engine running, rotate the steering wheel one– half revolution from the straight ahead position, turn off the engine, and remove the key. Rotate the steering wheel slightly in both directions until the lock engages. To Release The Steering Wheel Lock Insert the key in the ignition, and turn the wheel slightly to the left or right, to disengage the lock.

To Manually Lock The Steering Wheel
With the engine running, rotate the steering wheel one– half revolution from the straight ahead position, turn off the engine, and remove the key. Rotate the steering wheel slightly in both directions until the lock engages.

To Release The Steering Wheel Lock
Insert the key in the ignition, and turn the wheel slightly to the left or right, to disengage the lock.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

and does your 2013 have a lock?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by bushpilot
and does your 2013 have a lock?
No, mine does not have a column lock.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
No, mine does not have a column lock.
I rest my case

At best this was an option - I've never encountered a JK, built after 2009 that had one.
Mopar removed the lock for precisely the reason being discussed - recreational (aka flat) towing, its the same reason they have a towed vehicle harness - the Wrangler is the most popular toad.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You can't make a blanket statement like saying Mopar removed the lock. Some JKs have a lock apparently, for whatever reason. They didn't put that in the owner's manual just because. If no JK had a lock, it wouldn't be in there at all, there'd be no reason. That is my point. Your comment that there hasn't been a lock since 2009 is not correct.

I'm pretty certain that the OP was pretty familiar with the 2011 JK they were towing previously, and it having a lock wasn't just all in his head.

Quick Reply: JL Toad (Towing behind Motorhome)