JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JL Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jl-tech-222/)
-   -   Next Jeep Wrangler Might Not Offer a Manual Transmission (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jl-tech-222/next-jeep-wrangler-might-not-offer-manual-transmission-334272/)

JK-Forum Editor 06-01-2016 02:14 PM

Next Jeep Wrangler Might Not Offer a Manual Transmission

https://www.jk-forum.com/wp-content/...00525761_h.jpg

Jeep is modernizing the iconic Jeep Wrangler in 2018, and the big rumor is that the next generation JL will not have a manual transmission option.

Read the rest on the JK Forum homepage. >>

Cutman 06-01-2016 03:00 PM

If this holds true...one more reason I'm glad I bought when I did. I've said it before, who woulda woulda thought 30 years ago, that the top selling Jeeps would be 4 door autos. Kinda a damn shame. But I'm just one guy. (or 3 out of 7)

kjeeper10 06-01-2016 03:10 PM

Meh dont buy it

Jonathan_JK 06-01-2016 04:11 PM

I haven't owned a Automatic Vehicle since 2003. Driving should be fun. Auto makes it boring. If the time comes when they don't make a Manual Jeep I will pay extra to convert it to manual or Just buy another type of Vehicle New.

MrChuckles 06-01-2016 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cutman (Post 4221243)
If this holds true...one more reason I'm glad I bought when I did. I've said it before, who woulda woulda thought 30 years ago, that the top selling Jeeps would be 4 door autos. Kinda a damn shame. But I'm just one guy. (or 3 out of 7)

Agreed. It's pretty sad.

Kellen 06-01-2016 06:08 PM

Happy I got my JKU Willy's with the 6 speed then.

shabbernigdo 06-01-2016 11:37 PM

Have never personally owned an auto but i do drive one at work on occasions and it is pretty boring and i look like a retard always trying to reach for a shifter that isint there or stomping on the floor trying to hit a clutch that dosent exist either. No sir i dont like em : P

navywolf 06-02-2016 03:40 AM

Manual.

Count me as one of the owners who's glad he picked up a manual before they stopped selling them.
My manual and color combination was why the local dealer had to drive 5 hours one way, to go get my Jeep from another state.
It was a manual HR or no deal.

Like others I think a manual is just more fun to drive and lets you feel more like you are part of the experience not just an observer.

Made my teen learn to drive a manual as well. Her first car was a manual and so was the second.

Tragically, it is indeed becoming a lost art.

tramp 06-02-2016 04:38 AM

bad mistake if they don't offer one

goaterguy 06-02-2016 05:19 AM

My 2012 JK has a 6 spd manual as my 2010 did. My wife's 500c has a manual too.

But truth to be told, I have been thinking about my next Wrangler being an auto. Manufacturers have been wimping out on manual transmissions lately and dealer techs with knowledge of how to fix a manual are becoming extinct.

My 2005 GTO 6 speed manual had to be replaced because of a dealer's tech error and it was a PIA to get GM to warranty it.

I have read about way too many problems with the clutch, TOB, master cylinder and grinding of the JK 6 speed to care for another one. The NSG370 is at the limit of torque and power with the 3.6 and they would have to limit power for manuals if they continue to use it or develop an new one just for the Wrangler.

Fiat finally announced a recall (likely forced by NHTSA) to repair many manual transmission 500 s. A problem for the owners because manufacturers use the clutch as as scapegoat to deny manual transmission guarantees. It is a wear item.

Automatic transmissions are now more efficient, handle more torque, techs are easier to find, remote starts are much easier to install with one, easier to get warranty service approved, even engine swaps are easier and cheaper.

As I said, my JK has a MT but it's hard to argue with reality.