Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Next Jeep Wrangler Might Not Offer a Manual Transmission

Old 06-01-2016, 02:14 PM
JK-Forum Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Jeep Wrangler Might Not Offer a Manual Transmission

Jeep is modernizing the iconic Jeep Wrangler in 2018, and the big rumor is that the next generation JL will not have a manual transmission option.

Read the rest on the JK Forum homepage. >>
Old 06-01-2016, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If this holds true...one more reason I'm glad I bought when I did. I've said it before, who woulda woulda thought 30 years ago, that the top selling Jeeps would be 4 door autos. Kinda a damn shame. But I'm just one guy. (or 3 out of 7)
Old 06-01-2016, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Meh dont buy it
Old 06-01-2016, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't owned a Automatic Vehicle since 2003. Driving should be fun. Auto makes it boring. If the time comes when they don't make a Manual Jeep I will pay extra to convert it to manual or Just buy another type of Vehicle New.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
If this holds true...one more reason I'm glad I bought when I did. I've said it before, who woulda woulda thought 30 years ago, that the top selling Jeeps would be 4 door autos. Kinda a damn shame. But I'm just one guy. (or 3 out of 7)
Agreed. It's pretty sad.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happy I got my JKU Willy's with the 6 speed then.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have never personally owned an auto but i do drive one at work on occasions and it is pretty boring and i look like a retard always trying to reach for a shifter that isint there or stomping on the floor trying to hit a clutch that dosent exist either. No sir i dont like em : P
Old 06-02-2016, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Manual.

Count me as one of the owners who's glad he picked up a manual before they stopped selling them.
My manual and color combination was why the local dealer had to drive 5 hours one way, to go get my Jeep from another state.
It was a manual HR or no deal.

Like others I think a manual is just more fun to drive and lets you feel more like you are part of the experience not just an observer.

Made my teen learn to drive a manual as well. Her first car was a manual and so was the second.

Tragically, it is indeed becoming a lost art.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

bad mistake if they don't offer one
Old 06-02-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2012 JK has a 6 spd manual as my 2010 did. My wife's 500c has a manual too.

But truth to be told, I have been thinking about my next Wrangler being an auto. Manufacturers have been wimping out on manual transmissions lately and dealer techs with knowledge of how to fix a manual are becoming extinct.

My 2005 GTO 6 speed manual had to be replaced because of a dealer's tech error and it was a PIA to get GM to warranty it.

I have read about way too many problems with the clutch, TOB, master cylinder and grinding of the JK 6 speed to care for another one. The NSG370 is at the limit of torque and power with the 3.6 and they would have to limit power for manuals if they continue to use it or develop an new one just for the Wrangler.

Fiat finally announced a recall (likely forced by NHTSA) to repair many manual transmission 500 s. A problem for the owners because manufacturers use the clutch as as scapegoat to deny manual transmission guarantees. It is a wear item.

Automatic transmissions are now more efficient, handle more torque, techs are easier to find, remote starts are much easier to install with one, easier to get warranty service approved, even engine swaps are easier and cheaper.

As I said, my JK has a MT but it's hard to argue with reality.

Last edited by goaterguy; 06-02-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Next Jeep Wrangler Might Not Offer a Manual Transmission