JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Stock JL Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jl-tech-222/)
-   -   This is a Rendering of What the JL Jeep Wrangler Might Look Like (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jl-tech-222/rendering-what-jl-jeep-wrangler-might-look-like-336167/)

DerekShiekhi 08-15-2016 08:04 AM

This is a Rendering of What the JL Jeep Wrangler Might Look Like

This is a Rendering of What the JL Jeep Wrangler Might Look Like

https://www.jk-forum.com/wp-content/...p2_17_03-1.jpg

Some friends of JK-Forum have taken the bits and pieces revealed about the 2018 JL Jeep Wrangler and combined them into a rendering of how it might look.

Read the rest on the JK-Forum.com homepage. >>

realjeep 08-15-2016 08:24 AM

JL just doesn't sound good how about JK2 or CJ-14 or something?

ShutterBug 08-15-2016 09:32 AM

The grill doesn't look right on this rendering. From some of the spy shots I have seen, it looks like the grill is going to get a point to it similar to the way they screwed up the Cherokee grill.

Blizz 08-15-2016 02:21 PM

I work at the pilot plant at Chrysler.
This is not the JL.

karls10jk 08-15-2016 02:45 PM

It does say 3 times in the first post "what it might look like".....though the trusty JK forum editors are rarely on point. I'm ready to see what the new one looks like, enough of the concepts and rumors.

ShutterBug 08-15-2016 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, in THAT case, this is also a rendering of what the new JL MIGHT look like.

Attachment 654613

karls10jk 08-15-2016 04:31 PM

Good call Greg- it's definitely a departure from the lines we're used to seeing. Too bad the soft top left too.

ShutterBug 08-15-2016 04:58 PM

I am anxious to get the details. But apprehensive at the same time.

My JK is my forever Jeep. I can't imagine selling it or trading it in. I've done too much to it. But I would buy another one for something other than trails. Someday. No time soon. I need a toy hauler first.

saharaharry 08-16-2016 03:13 AM

New Jeep?

This appeared in photos on the Extreme Terrain site. For the most part, it was probably photo shopped. Don't get caught up with it because it is just a rendering from someone's wishful thinking. I'm surprised they didn't include white wheels!

Blizz 08-16-2016 08:11 PM

You can rest assured, if you like the JK you will like the JL. There are no changes to the body and only slight changes throughout. The JLT on the other hand...

Mark Doiron 08-17-2016 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Blizz (Post 4238751)
I work at the pilot plant at Chrysler.
This is not the JL.

I have a question that perhaps you might confirm: Is JL the official designation from FCA? Or is that as yet unconfirmed?

Cutman 08-17-2016 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Blizz (Post 4239121)
You can rest assured, if you like the JK you will like the JL. There are no changes to the body and only slight changes throughout. The JLT on the other hand...

Surely that can't be true. Not even Jeep is brand-loyal enough to itself to remain unchanged on the outside for a 20 year stretch. Each version of the Wrangler becomes iconic in its own right. Yes, even the YJ. But c'mon. Sergio's got to have the balls to evolve a little. With all the mpg changes, aluminum body panels and talk about a turbo 4-cylinder, surely the body style will change somewhat. Even the TJ looks A LOT like the JK but its not. I honestly don't think that would be a smart move on their part at all.

Smudgeontheglass 08-18-2016 09:19 AM

If you look at the CJ->YJ->TJ, the biggest changes were in the grill and front fenders. The rear body and panels most casual observers wouldn't even be able to tell the difference (because for the most part there was none). I am OK with them keeping the same smooth vertical panels. They define the Wrangler from everything on the road. Gear like the external hinges are iconic, but the door handles, mirrors, and fenders have all changed throughout.

A couple of the spy photos show the front fenders getting signal lights and restyled mirrors but for the most part are not that far of a departure from the JK.

Cutman 08-18-2016 09:40 AM

I've been following pretty closely all rumors and spy shots. Nothing is in stone until they hit showroom floors.

OverKill 08-19-2016 06:46 PM

Stories I read and heard, the windshield maybe sloped back more for aerodynamics. Which then would lead you to believe it would not able to lay down. Another one is it will be a solid hard top option, meaning it will be all one piece like SUV. Safety and fuel requirements come into play very heavily. Gotta make the CARB standards and the fuel standards as a company. The dodge stealth went away to make room for the Durango. Could not make the fuel standard making both, will sell more SUV with a bigger profit margin. It is all about hitting the marks and making the money.

ShutterBug 08-20-2016 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by OverKill (Post 4239894)
Stories I read and heard, the windshield maybe sloped back more for aerodynamics. Which then would lead you to believe it would not able to lay down. Another one is it will be a solid hard top option, meaning it will be all one piece like SUV.

Based on this description, they should rename it "Liberty".

I will be completely and utterly shocked if the top is not removable.

Jahamm88 08-20-2016 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by ShutterBug (Post 4239948)
I will be completely and utterly shocked if the top is not removable.

I might be in the minority here, but if there was a steel skinned JKU available I'd be into it. Coming from an XJ i would have bought a new, larger XJ to accommodate the family. The Jk is the closest thing to it. Keep everything from the waist down the same and add a steel skin roof with sky panels and I'm sure some people would be interested, especially in the overlanding community. You might be able to draw a few people from the 4 runner crowd with idea
this too

Blizz 08-20-2016 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 4239224)
I have a question that perhaps you might confirm: Is JL the official designation from FCA? Or is that as yet unconfirmed?

Yes its officially the JL and the truck bed version is the JLT.

Blizz 08-20-2016 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Cutman (Post 4239262)
Surely that can't be true. Not even Jeep is brand-loyal enough to itself to remain unchanged on the outside for a 20 year stretch. Each version of the Wrangler becomes iconic in its own right. Yes, even the YJ. But c'mon. Sergio's got to have the balls to evolve a little. With all the mpg changes, aluminum body panels and talk about a turbo 4-cylinder, surely the body style will change somewhat. Even the TJ looks A LOT like the JK but its not. I honestly don't think that would be a smart move on their part at all.

Idk what you want from me. I work in the Pilot Plant. I literally sit next to the JL launch team; I'm on the DT launch team. If a JL rolled through a intersection you would not be able to tell it wasn't a JK.

Cutman 08-20-2016 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Blizz (Post 4239970)
Idk what you want from me. I work in the Pilot Plant. I literally sit next to the JL launch team; I'm on the DT launch team. If a JL rolled through a intersection you would not be able to tell it wasn't a JK.

I'm not doubting you. I just don't get it.

Pats fan 08-20-2016 09:32 AM

That's very interesting, so my first thought is if it looks the same from the outside they must have concentrated on improving all of the quirks and shortcomings on the JK, essentially a much better JK. that would be awesome.

lowendrider 08-23-2016 05:39 PM

I think it is very wise on their part to not stray far from the JK in the styling dept. Improve in other areas yes, but to strew with the styling would, in my opinion, be a BIG mistake. I've been a Jeep fan my whole life and have had more than a couple. To me the JK was and is a near perfect culmination. Yes, I am biased. :yup:

AJ_ 09-04-2016 09:06 AM

My question is....... Is it IFS ??

Blizz 09-08-2016 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by AJ_ (Post 4243224)
My question is....... Is it IFS ??

No. But it'll have an american axle instead of a dana.

AJ_ 09-08-2016 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blizz (Post 4244087)
No. But it'll have an american axle instead of a dana.

Well that's nice, at least it will stay easy to work on. But I am a fan of ifs so I wouldn't hate if it was an option

Blizz 09-08-2016 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AJ_ (Post 4244148)
Well that's nice, at least it will stay easy to work on. But I am a fan of ifs so I wouldn't hate if it was an option

Same.

peterh 09-23-2016 08:15 AM

on thing you don't hear much about is improving the seats to make them more comfortable - I have 178k on mine and have always wished the seats had more support and more ways to adjust

JK_Marilyn 12-05-2016 11:47 AM

That's just a JK with new hood and doors.

slvrrub 02-13-2017 12:50 PM

I think I heard somewhere that they were eliminating the park lamps from the grill area.