Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Traction light started to be on - only in 4WD LO

Old 09-26-2018, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction light started to be on - only in 4WD LO

Last week I had new tires installed on my 2015 JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I have about 18000 miles on the vehicle. When I was off-road in 4WD lo, the big traction light would randomly light and stay lit until I turned the vehicle off. When I restart the engine and I am still in 4WD lo, the light is off, then reappears at some point. This light is never on in 4WD hi nor in 2WD. I am trying to figure out if the people who installed the tires did something because this didn't happen before the new tires. It's scary when a light comes on and your 10 miles from pavement at 13000 ft.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you go with larger tires than what was on your rig previously? If so, you may need to re calibrate with a ProCal. If not, I would check your battery connections and maybe even disconnect it to see if the lights come back on. The other possibility is a bad wheel sensor...

Here are a few steps you can follow to determine if wheel sensor problem -

- Make sure you have no trash or mud on your wheels, axles, etc.
- Check your brakes/rotors and make sure you have no rocks or anything interfering with brakes.
- Cycle your key 3 times to see if you get any codes (U1418 right side sensor, U1417 left side sensor)
- Determine if the issue is front or rear by looking at your MPG. If it is half of what it is normally then its the rear

Changing a wheel sensor is cheap and easy... even videos on YouTube to instruct you.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought that was an automatic function of going into 4LO was it turns off that function. Maybe read your owner's manual it might explain that.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Agree with Seizer above.....going in to 4Lo should disable traction control completely. Also, nobody else is doing anything when installing larger tires.....outside of programming for tire size, but that doesn't change what your experiencing one way or the other. The fact that this is happening in 4Lo is quite curious. I'm not certain what the issue is, but pretty confident this has nothing to do with the larger tires specifically. Is this something you can duplicate on demand, or is it just random?

Quick Reply: Traction light started to be on - only in 4WD LO