Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trailer wiring? for JL

Old 02-06-2019, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring? for JL

I’m getting another wrangler as soon as the ‘20 comes out. But before I spec their overpriced trailer tow package I wanted to make sure I can just tap into the rear tail lights to wire my trailer lights, instead of having to buy the ridiculous kit they require like in my renegade. In my JK I just bought the receiver and wired it myself for ~150 but my rene requires a silly expensive kit that makes you run + all the way to the battery... Anyway I just wanted to ask before I spring for the $800 tow kit. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:23 AM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend getting the tow package from Jeep. It includes the hitch, the wiring, a HD alternator and the 4 Auxilliary switches. I accidentally missed this when I purchased my JL and had to add the hitch (easy part) and the wiring for the lights. This is more involved than just tapping into the tail lights - especially if you have the LED package. Trust me, the Tow Package is wirth the $$$.
The following users liked this post:
MikeOK (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I just wired up my wife's Armada for a hitch I installed. Indeed had to run a wire to the battery for the "booster" pack, but the Curt kit (universal) was only like $55, and the Curt receiver was ~$150. $200 total vs. $800 for factory set up seems like nice savings.
The following users liked this post:
MikeOK (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys!
Everything has to have a stinkin’ processor I’m about ready to go back to 100% analog lol. Heck my old vinyl even sounds better than all this crazy new fangled digital music... There is beauty in these sophisticated rigs though. Anyway I just got back from my dealer getting a quote for a custom factory build. Seems they are just taking orders for custom builds for the ‘19 model, and it will be a year before I can custom order a ‘20. The main reason I want a 20 is I want that new 2.0 turbo engine, but not sure I want the first year release. It’s in my wife’s Cherokee we just bought and that is one sweet engine. So what I was gonna say, a custom ‘19 built the way I want is over $40k. Not sure if I want one that bad yet. And that’s for a 2-door. These things have become ridiculously expensive.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Holy cow, $40k+ for a 2dr.....we're hitting new levels of redonk.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you're just using it (like I do) for a hitch packer tray, bike rack and an occasional small utility trailer, just get the easy plug in wiring harness and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring? for JL