Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaton rear electric locker ?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eaton rear electric locker ?

i am looking for a rear electric locker to use with 5:38 gears and 37's ... i was checking out this Eaton locker is this a good choice or would their be a better choice for the money , thanks

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_1016.htm
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a great selectable locker. Based on where and what your goal is, the Truetrac and of course ARB are good as well. Huge price difference. Follow MKJEEP and put a Detroit locker back there. Then you'll have a sick chirp!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, every current electric locker available for the Dana 44 has one issue or another. Eaton's Dana 44 ELocker is a weak sister compared to an ARB. It's a 2 pinion design (compared to ARB's 4) and is about 60-70% of ARB's strength. This may be enough for you, but maybe not. My sources at Eaton tell me that they are working on a new 4 pinion design but it is still about a year away. If you were interested in a front Dana 30 ELocker, that is a very good 4 pinion design and a great (if not the best) selectable option.

The Auburn Ected is a clutch based LSD-to-lock (kinda?) selectable but it's not a great option for an off road rig as the clutch based design is prone to premature wear in off road use and can't be rebuilt.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Unfortunately, every current electric locker available for the Dana 44 has one issue or another. Eaton's Dana 44 ELocker is a weak sister compared to an ARB. It's a 2 pinion design (compared to ARB's 4) and is about 60-70% of ARB's strength. This may be enough for you, but maybe not. My sources at Eaton tell me that they are working on a new 4 pinion design but it is still about a year away. If you were interested in a front Dana 30 ELocker, that is a very good 4 pinion design and a great (if not the best) selectable option.

The Auburn Ected is a clutch based LSD-to-lock (kinda?) selectable but it's not a great option for an off road rig as the clutch based design is prone to premature wear in off road use and can't be rebuilt.
Would you happen to know why the rear is a 2 pinion design, being the rear is "used" more then not?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeep2007
Would you happen to know why the rear is a 2 pinion design, being the rear is "used" more then not?
i was also wondering that... also was looking at this locker also.. but i think i read something bad about this one in the past ?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16100_707.htm
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep2007
All the lockers go through design changes. They just haven't gotten around to upgrading the 44 rear version yet.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by blockrockin
also was looking at this locker also.. but i think i read something bad about this one in the past ?
Look at the second paragraph in Dynas post...

It uses clutches. Clutches wear out. Not the best option for a rear axle.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

oh yeah thats what i read... thanks.. lol wish they had the 4 pinion Eaton rear 44 out now.. sounds like that would be a good option

Last edited by blockrockin; 04-08-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Eaton is primarily an OE supplier. The 2 pinion ELocker was originally designed for OE use. This means a specified tire size, specified gearing, specified weight etc. It was put into the aftermarket without a whole lot of knowledge as to what the aftermarket actually expects. In the past few years they have gained much more info but haven't yet done a significant update on the Dana 44 ELocker. It's in the works.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Good info.....thanks for chiming in.

Then comes the whole......if your best option for a selectable rear is still an ARB air locker, then you might as well go ahead and install an ARB in the front as well. No sense in running air to the rear and electric to the front, when you can just run air to both. Sigh.....Just Empty Every Pocket

Quick Reply: Eaton rear electric locker ?