Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

kayak trailer

Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kayak trailer

Since I can't carry the kayaks on top of the Jeep, I'm thinking about converting my utility trailer into a kayak trailer. Has anyone done this? Looking for some plans and/or ideas.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on how long your boat is, get some standard issue roof cross-bars mounted to the trailer, then kayak attachments from Yakima or Thule. Lots easier than hoicking them up onto the roof.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have a Kayak trailer, but I do have my 14' John Boat on a utility trailer. The guy that had the boat before me added a longer tongue/coupler to the front to allow for the boat to fit, then put 2 4x4s on the back to make it level with the bar in the front. He added 2 runners with the carpet stuff on it for the boat to slide on. It works great. I added a winch on an arm up front to pull it on easier even though it was not hard to start with. Pretty much drove right on. But I have disk problems and wanted it to be easier.
I love the idea of the "roof cross bars" mounted to it, with a standard kayak carrier on it. I might convert mine to that after I get my boat off of it. I would definately recommend welding a longer tongue/coupler to it though depending on how long your kayak is. I think mine is 12 or 13 feet, so it will work well.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is a picture of the one I got, but you can't see the extension on the front. :(

Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a 4x8 trailer that I built to haul 2 kayaks and can be setup for four. I built a top that opens up for all the fishing stuff inside and what ever else I might carry. I can take the top off the trailer and then use if for hauling light stuff.

It is easy to handle and has all the advantages/disadvantages of a trailer when parking, etc.

I also built a rack for the back of the Jeep to mount two yaks on, and tie the front to the roll bars with pads under the front of the yaks. One day I will build a rack for the front so I can tow the Jeep with my kayaks on top. Only disadvantage is having to lift it up some and storing everything else in the Jeep.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

check out these trailers:

Old 07-15-2009, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

OP, whatever you decide to do, make sure you post up some pic's on this tread. I'm interested to see what works for you as I'm going to have the same issue hauling 2 canoe's
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the little red one - nice and simple.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like the little red one - nice and simple.

For camping though - the silver/black with the tool box on the front looks like a great choice.

Quick Reply: kayak trailer