Notices
Jeep CJ, Jeepster & Willys Overall Jeep CJ, Jeepster and Willys technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes pretty much most Jeeps made between 1955-1986.

'81 cj7

Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '81 cj7

Well I've been looking to add one to the fleet for sometime. I hope all you CJ owners are just as helpful as you are with the JK. I've never embarked on a project like this before. I'm super excited to get started. Need to get her running.

U
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-197006121.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	312850  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Spark=Yes
Air=Yes
Fuel= No

Time to drop the tank
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
Spark=Yes
Air=Yes
Fuel= No

Time to drop the tank
Nice cj! Good luck! Brother has a 77 cj-7 he is restoring....a lot of work. He has the whole thing apart and doing body work. Thought it would be an easy sand down and paint but a little more bondo was underneath than we ever thought.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a fun project. It appears someone had already fixed the rocker panel rust and done some other bodywork. To me bodywork is the worst part of a restoration. How's the frame? Looks like what a 4" spring lift? If I ever do another one, I'll look at a SOA using YJ Wrangler springs and soft shocks.

That birds nest of wiring under the dash reminds me of my CJ-5 when I first got her. I ended up with electrical gremlins and installing a new painless wiring harness from front to back. Anyway good luck with the project.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by runnerprairie
Nice cj! Good luck! Brother has a 77 cj-7 he is restoring....a lot of work. He has the whole thing apart and doing body work. Thought it would be an easy sand down and paint but a little more bondo was underneath than we ever thought.
Thanks. I'll take all the luck and help I can get. This thing has very little filler. Mostly just where you see it. Looks like the panel warped a bit when the previous owner welded in the new floor boards.

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Looks like a fun project. It appears someone had already fixed the rocker panel rust and done some other bodywork. To me bodywork is the worst part of a restoration. How's the frame? Looks like what a 4" spring lift? If I ever do another one, I'll look at a SOA using YJ Wrangler springs and soft shocks.

That birds nest of wiring under the dash reminds me of my CJ-5 when I first got her. I ended up with electrical gremlins and installing a new painless wiring harness from front to back. Anyway good luck with the project.
I agree body work was not on the top of my list to do. The previous owner basiclly had done all the stuff I did not want to do. The frame is straight as can be and there is no major rust at all. The story is that it sat in a barn for 7 years then the previous owner worked hard on it for 18 months. New Suspension (4") good eye. New windshield frame and front fenders. New guages is why there is such a nest underneath. I actually have a number of dash lights and fan working. IN addition I have a ton of parts that came with. New seat belts, covers, bumpers, lights, windshield and the list goes on. Worst part is the 2.5L is almost certainly not going to turn those 35".

I'm taking my time and its great to not have the pressure to get it done and drive it to work on Monday.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Engine is running. Finally a use for all those water bottles the wife leaves around. Fuel pump is working. So time to drop the tank and check the lines.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! That's a beauty!

I had an 81 CJ5 that I loved dearly, which is why the ex-wife had to have it and let it rot in her yard. Anyways, I had a similar problem with the fuel - the lines were shot!

Have fun!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by trmason
Congrats! That's a beauty!

I had an 81 CJ5 that I loved dearly, which is why the ex-wife had to have it and let it rot in her yard. Anyways, I had a similar problem with the fuel - the lines were shot!

Have fun!
Sending unit it yucky..

Tank is in decent shape but not worth messing with in my opinion. New tank, fuel neck hoses and hardline on order.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

Engine is gone. Amc 360, t18 D300 is being assembled. Frame painted etc. etc. it's a full time job.

Quick Reply: '81 cj7