Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

JK springs on a TJ

Old 08-02-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK springs on a TJ

Can the springs, front and/or rear, on a JK, be used on a TJ?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe so but you have to heat the lower rear coil and open the bottom up more...
Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

The fronts sit right in there and I've not tried the rears yet

Sent from my Droid4 and Jkfreaks.com
Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls
The fronts sit right in there and I've not tried the rears yet

Did you put front JK springs on a TJ? The reason I ask is I have some spare '07 Rubicon springs, as well as a set of front OME light duty JK springs that I tried to give away on this forum, but no takers...I might pick up a TJ, and if so, I would like to use them to possibly lift it some. If all the rear needs is opening up the coil some, I might be interested in doing that vs. buying new ones.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by glwood6

Did you put front JK springs on a TJ? The reason I ask is I have some spare '07 Rubicon springs, as well as a set of front OME light duty JK springs that I tried to give away on this forum, but no takers...I might pick up a TJ, and if so, I would like to use them to possibly lift it some. If all the rear needs is opening up the coil some, I might be interested in doing that vs. buying new ones.
Anything is possible but I am very hesitant to heat coils. It changes the metallurgy and will effectively change the spring rates. Imo
Old 08-03-2013, 11:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by glwood6
Yep, our front springs drop right into the front of a TJ. I didn't play around with the rears but 'supposedly' they work too. I didn't do the rears though.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Maertz
I believe so but you have to heat the lower rear coil and open the bottom up more...
After a lot of research, it's not the bottom of the rear coils that is the issue, but the top of the coils where the bump stop cup mounts that is a little too small to fit. I read where one guy took off the cup, then re-installed it after putting in the spring.

I now have a full set of Rubicon JK springs and shocks, I plan to experiment on the 2003 TJ that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I will document the process, before and after, and will post the results. Stay tuned...
Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

So - any benefits noticed with the front springs
Old 08-14-2013, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by medburd
So - any benefits noticed with the front springs
With all the suspensions I have done over the years, the rear was the easiest to get the springs off, so I started there. Hit the expected snag of the top of the coil needing to be opened up to fit over the bump stop cup. I dropped the coils off at a local spring & suspension shop to have that done. I hope to pick those up on Thursday. I did get the rear shocks (in my case they are from a Rubicon) set up and installed. I hope to get the rear finished up this weekend, along with the front. I took the metal sleeves out of the front JK Rubicon shocks, they are ready for the bar pins from the '03 front shocks to be put in, and the front shocks installed.

There was a significant difference in the spring length & coil thickness between the JK Rubi rear coil & the TJ rear coil. I'm hoping to get some lift out of it, and a better ride. The shocks are definitely bigger and better. We'll see what happens.

I have yet to pull the front TJ coils to compare the length & coil thickness. If there is no significant difference liftwise, I have the option of using spacers in conjunction with the JK coils, or using a set of front OME light duty coils that I had an extra set of from my JK lift project. I KNOW those will boost the front, I just don't know how much. The soonest I can get to all this is this weekend.

This will definitely be a hybrid suspension. Hopefully it will be what I hope it will.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 PM
JK Junkie

The actual front coil length and height may not be too different, but the spring rate could be everything. I just swapped the coils to my brother's TJ but never got around to riding in it long term to feel out the ride. I'm half tempted to swap his 2" lift coils with mine in the front to see what he says.

To add to this info.....I bought some TJ 3/4" front coil spacers and installed them on the JK with no ill effects. They fit and the ID of the puck is a touch bigger than the OD of our bumpstop cup.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: JK springs on a TJ