Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

my new project

Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new project

98 GC with 4.0 auto and 210,000 miles but runs good. Needs brakes, tune up and fluids changed and good to go. To cheap not to pass up.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

got most of the work done. The rear driver-side rotor was nonexistent, diff fluid was like honey, radiator and heater core were clogged with rust, had no thermostat, cap was corroded, and power-steering hose leaked. I just have to change the transmission filter and fluid, and I think i am starting to hear the rear pinion bearing.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking of doing a lift on it and was trying to find info on 3" BB. I am not planning on wheeling it just for looks and maybe some easy trails just for giggles.

Who makes them and are the good to use or should I just save for a spring lift or do a F/R swap?
What else would I need to do to have 3" lift not cause problems.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Go with the F=>R.

Super cheap.

A set of front V8 springs moved to the rear will net a little over 3" of lift or so in the rear. A set of Rancho 3" front springs will make things nice and level.

I ran an adjustable track bar and extended length rancho shocks. Made for a nice soft ride on the street. Was all less than $300 when I did it. I also ran with no rear sway bar. It is SUPER tiny and did nothing. I did not notice it gone and even towed a lot of trailers between 5,000 and 5500lbs. I think the stiffer springs in front, Rancho, and in back, the stock V8 springs are stiffer.

If you can find a set of V8 up country springs, you will end up with 4" in the back.

If you do start taking it off-road a lot, at heights 4" and up you start having problems with the rear control arm mounts tearing off.

I ended up at about 4" of lift total and ran 31" tires comfortable with no rubbing, no bumps stops, and no trimming. Larger tires will require some trimming or bump stops or aftermarket rims.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

was thinking of F-R swap and new front springs I was concerned about the high mileage on the springs was thinking of trying jk front springs on the rear I have an extra set that came off our rubi at 7000 miles.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

did some plasti dipping this week. just need to get new bumpers and spay them.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

went to change the rear bearing and found out the PO cross threaded the pinion and need to change gears so I had them do an 8.8 with lsd swap. I just got it back and wanted to tinker today so I tried to install jk front springs in the rear (14's) and netted 1" gain but the springs were just a little wider then stock and ended up hitting the frame when compressed.(free lift not happening). I also modified a CAI and installed it just need to make a hole for the hose that comes off the valve cover to fit into it.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 AM
JK Newbie

This is a good project. I am looking forward for this project and can't wait to see the pictures when its done.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not much happening. wit it yet. Had to change the radiator and will have to change the waterpump soon. I just developed a shimmy at around 40 and when turning its worse. Will be putting on jack stands today to try to find it. Hopefully the old stabilizer is the problem. If not mod money going to repairs again.

Quick Reply: my new project