Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Wow! What happened to Grand Cherokee prices???

Old 01-21-2014, 01:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow! What happened to Grand Cherokee prices???

Took my wife out yesterday to look at new cars. She has a 2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo that we bought used in 2006 with only 15,xxx miles on it. I recall paying $19,000 or maybe a little less...

Granted it isn't loaded, but was a nice car with power options, nice wheels (not the steel ones), 4wd, and a few other things. A nice buy being barely used for under $20k.

Our first stop...a jeep dealership near us. The least expensive GC limited that was sticker priced at $42k!!!!! The only things it has versus our 2005 was leather, nav, and a backup camera. It also had the AWD option with the land rover looking 'select-a-terrain'

So I ask the sales person, what is the cheapest GC option you can get? We go inside and look at some inventory sheets and she looks up and says she has a GC Laredo with cloth seats coming...I ask how much? "Just under $40k."

What!!!!???? They are nice, but wow... We went to dinner after that and I started looking on my iPhone and was finding brand new land rover LR4's, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi SuV's for close to the price jeep wants.

What the hell has happened? I assumed we could get a new GC for $30k
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Research, technology and innovation. You didn't actually believe the auto manufacturers would spend money in those arenas and not trickle it down to the end user, did you?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wrangler prices are ridiculous. The sticker price on my Sport unlimited with 24s package has gone up 4k dollars since 2010.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Wrangler prices are ridiculous. The sticker price on my Sport unlimited with 24s package has gone up 4k dollars since 2010.
One thing I will never believe is the prices on jeep vehicles in general. Because the quality sure isnt there. Way over priced
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tribulation138
One thing I will never believe is the prices on jeep vehicles in general. Because the quality sure isnt there. Way over priced
you mean like my land rover? Which cost about $25k more and breaks what seems like 4 times more than the Jeep? LOL!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Don't look at window stickers bud. My dads fully loaded grand limited was 36k. The Laredo sells for under 30. Seen them for 26k. Hell the overland summits with diesel sells for around 50k so I would definitely shop around
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

I was also shocked to see the price tags. The cheapest prices for a grand Cherokee was 41k and the "Fully" Loaded one topped off at 71K!!! Who in the world pays that for a Jeep? I told the wife she is getting a bare bones Patriot, 16K.. hahaha..
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

And, as a general rule, never pay sticker. I paid about $12k less than sticker for the Landy, about $8k less for the Volvo XC90 and about $6k less for the Volvo S60T5. The dodge, was about $6k less as well. Unfortunately, I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler and I paid sticker. For a color discontinued, fully loaded and everything I wanted. I guess my time was up. I am looking at the SRT for my lady. She will grandma drive it around town. And, I will do my husbandry duties and see to it the carbon is blown through on a regular basis.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's happening to them all. My dad drove me to these dealer to pick up my Rubi and he couldn't believe I was spending $33k used, he looked at a brand new base model sport and nearly had a heart attack when he saw a twenty some thousand dollar price tag. He said "I remember jeeps being cheap, what the hell is this? "
Hell, remember when hyundai and Kia eyes known as the crappiest cars to own? Now they're held to the same standards as BMW and Mercedes......those new WK2s are very nice tho, I like the Trail Hawk model, that's bad ass!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 AM
KEY
JK Newbie

Default Buy used

I purchsed a used 2011 GC Overland for my wife two months ago. It has 40k miles on it but everything on it appears brand new. I got is as it came off of a lease and paid just over $30k. I know its steep, but the 2011 and newer GCs are much nicer. I drove it to our house in CO the day after Christmas and it drove on the snow like a champ. It was GREAT not having to drive my JK with 37's 12 hours.

Go find a nice used one!

Quick Reply: Wow! What happened to Grand Cherokee prices???