Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Bad for antenna to hit things?

Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a condo with a parking garage. My 2ft Firestik CB antenna sticks above the top a few inches and is 1 inch from hitting some lightweight movable signs in the garage. Would it be bad to put a 3 inch spring on it for flexibility and added height(range) and have it hit those signs whenever I go in and out of the garage? I'm sure I can leave it how it is with how little I will use it but was just curious. And I know it will hit things in the woods so I know they can take some abuse.

Last edited by auceny; 04-21-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get a stubby and not worry.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Old Guard
Get a stubby and not worry.
Should have specified it's a CB antenna and not my radio antenna.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:24 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auceny
Should have specified it's a CB antenna and not my radio antenna.
It'll get roughed up. I don't mind if it's tree branches because usually it's just a quick hit but if it's a like a parking garage where the tip will consistently drag along the ceiling, I just take my antenna off using a quick disconnect....

Firestik CB Antenna Quick Disconnect K-1A | Right Channel Radios

Last edited by DJ1; 04-21-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DJ1
It'll get roughed up. I don't mind if it's tree branches because usually it's just a quick hit but if it's a like a parking garage where the tip will consistently drag along the ceiling, I just take my antenna off using a quick disconnect.... Firestik CB Antenna Quick Disconnect K-1A | Right Channel Radios
Wouldn't be dragging. Just hitting about 5 lightweight signs each way. Probably nothing different than a small tree branch impact though. I'll likely try it out.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you add the spring recheck your SWR as your antenna is now longer. The 2 foot firestik is pretty good. I recently used it on 10 meter and talked with Brazil from NY. 40 watts.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

If your swr is currently good then don't add the spring because it will then be very bad.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by genesbro
If your swr is currently good then don't add the spring because it will then be very bad.
Will it be bad or just different and need the antenna tuned again? I couldn't get the SWR great on all three 1-20-40 but was like 1.6 on 1 and 40 and way better on 20 I think.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you were tuned properly before, your SWR curve will now be at its lowest point on the lower channels. Lower frequency number means longer antenna. You would need to retune (or cut) the antenna to compensate for the added length of the spring.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by auceny
Will it be bad or just different and need the antenna tuned again? I couldn't get the SWR great on all three 1-20-40 but was like 1.6 on 1 and 40 and way better on 20 I think.
Normally when tuning you make like 1/8 to 1/4 inch adjustments and sounds like right now your swr is perfect as is. You are going to add approx. 3 inches to your antenna so that should make it too long for even 1 to be good. Really no reason to add spring unless you have an antenna that is too short and needs to be about a springs length longer anyway. I would just leave it and it will flop around a lot less this way. The only antenna still being made that needs a spring for sure is the old standard stainless steel whip and that is too long to run on trails. Most official runs have banned them because they can hit people.

Quick Reply: Bad for antenna to hit things?